Unable to Login (LMDE Faye ) [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krbjmpr
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to Login (LMDE Faye ) [SOLVED]

Post by krbjmpr »

Basics first:
Host is Lenovo T440
Dual Boot (eventually) with Win11
LMDE Faye via Rufus created USB
ISO verified.
1st go around, all appeared success, but no Grub, No Linux, partition map un-touched.
2nd go around, partition resized success, appeared to install success, no grub.
3rd go around, installed existing partition (50GB, EXT4) after format,
Attempt A: install grub to SDA3 (windows), nope.
Attempt B: Install grub to SDA7 (LMDE), nope.
Attempt C: install grub to SDA1 (efi/boot) nope.
Frustrated, boot into windows, install Grub2Win.
Success booting into LMDE.
But, the created user / pass combination is not working.
Tried variations that might have occurred, nope.
What am I missing?

I am nearly *brand new* at Linux, last time I used was tried installing Caldera Linux. Yeah, long ago.
Was able to tolerate MS Windows, but forced / auto install of CoPilot AI and inability to remove has me trying to jump ship.

If anything else is needed, just bear in mind that I cannot get past login, and no knowledge (yet) of command and file system structure.
Last edited by krbjmpr on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to Login (LMDE Faye )

Post by Hawaiihemd »

No idea why your LMDE install did/does not boot but I can speak on your login issue.

If you don't know the password there is only one option besides a new install and that is to chroot from a live session e.g. from your install media.

The reason being is that LMDE is currently set up to not let you access the emergency console of the installed OS if there is no password set for root. This would otherwise be the second option.
derrick1120
Level 3
Level 3

Post by derrick1120 »

A few people have had issues with Rufus, you could try using balena Etcher ( https://etcher.balena.io/ ).
krbjmpr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krbjmpr »

Not sure what happened exactly, but it appears that Rufus is/was culprit. After creating another flash drive using Etcher, all appeared to be working as expected.

I use Linux regularly, in form of Open Media Vault to host my Plex libraries. Strictly command line, and followed a lot of other's examples.

As far as a usable desktop os, I haven't tried that since Caldera Linux way back in late 90s. Big changes between "modern" and 'back then.

The other reason for trial / switch to Linux (mainly Microsoft CoPilot) is that the trains I work on are powered by Linux as well. Not a lot of info available, as the OS expects a *serial* keyboard and mouse to be connected.

Appreciate the suggestions. I had hit upon Etcher solution perusing other areas of this forum a week or so ago. Now to find an appropriate 'LMDE for Idiots' resource that eventually delves into the CLI in depth. Eventually hope to resolve the acpi errors when first booting, but all appears to be wholly usable.

Return to “Beginner Questions”