<SOLVED> Is there a way for me to move a fixed software's position on panel instead of moving the entire group?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woaf
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Is there a way for me to move a fixed software's position on panel instead of moving the entire group?

Post by woaf »

When I try moving a pinned on panel software, it moves all softwares pinned and open, is there a way I can pin a specific software and move only its own position or would that be possible if done with an applet?
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked title <SOLVED> by shortening the title.
chime
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is there a way for me to move a fixed software's position on panel instead of moving the entire group of softwares?

Post by chime »

You should be able to just drag and drop, if you are using Cinnamon. If you are using xfce or mate, I think there is a different method. Could you tell us your Mint version and desktop environment?
woaf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is there a way for me to move a fixed software's position on panel instead of moving the entire group of softwares?

Post by woaf »

chime wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:39 pm You should be able to just drag and drop, if you are using Cinnamon. If you are using xfce or mate, I think there is a different method. Could you tell us your Mint version and desktop environment?
Sorry, I think I deleted by mistake from topic title 'on Cinnamon', Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon edition, as I mention in the topic, when I try drag and dropping it, it does not move specifically the software I'm hovering over to drag and drop, instead it moves the entire group of all pinned and opened softwares
chime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chime »

Right click on the launchers and select configure. Uncheck "group windows by application". Then try.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

chime wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:30 pm Right click on the launchers and select configure. Uncheck "group windows by application". Then try.
Could you show screen shots of how to do that? When I've tried it in 21.1, it messes up the entire panel and I have to do a Timeshift restore to get things working again (granted, I'm probably doing something wrong).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

You should be able to just drag and drop, if you are using Cinnamon.
+1. It works perfectly on my LM 20.3 Cin. Just click and hold, drag it elsewhere, and let go.
And my "group windows by application" is turned on.
Last edited by mikeflan on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

mikeflan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:47 pm
You should be able to just drag and drop, if you are using Cinnamon.
+1. It works perfectly on my LM 20.3 Cin. Just click and hold, drag is elsewhere, and let go.
And my "group windows by application" is turned on.
Well, "should be" and "is" are two different things.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
chime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chime »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:25 pm
chime wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:30 pm Right click on the launchers and select configure. Uncheck "group windows by application". Then try.
Could you show screen shots of how to do that? When I've tried it in 21.1, it messes up the entire panel and I have to do a Timeshift restore to get things working again (granted, I'm probably doing something wrong).
I can tell you 20.3 and 21.3. Assuming 21.1 is more similar, first right click on an icon, select applet preferences, then configure. Then an option that says "group windows by application" should be at the top.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quotes, so that every line that is not part of the quote, is outside of the quote tags.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

woaf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:30 pm When I try moving a pinned on panel software, it moves all softwares pinned and open, is there a way I can pin a specific software and move only its own position or would that be possible if done with an applet?
You are probably dragging in "panel edit mode". Turn that off. Then drag again.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

billyswong wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:05 am
woaf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:30 pm When I try moving a pinned on panel software, it moves all softwares pinned and open, is there a way I can pin a specific software and move only its own position or would that be possible if done with an applet?
You are probably dragging in "panel edit mode". Turn that off. Then drag again.
Well, sonuvagun, that was it! Thanks!
Jeannie

woaf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by woaf »

Thank you all for helping!! :D

:arrow: If anyone reading this is trying the samething, be aware if you do remove "Grouped window list" from applets, it'll mess up your entire panel so you'll have to adjust it all yourself afterwards (it doesn't really take long, just a warning so people who tries it dont freak out)

Return to “Beginner Questions”