Cannot install to Windows 10 laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot install to Windows 10 laptop

Post by bushyiii »

The installation usb process does find the hdd in the laptop.
Is there something special on some hdd in WINDOWS PC to make them visible?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cannot install to Windows 10 laptop

Post by Reddog1 »

It's possible.

Things to look at:

Bitlocker

Windows installed in RST (intel Rapid Storage Technology) mode

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/22/ ... ved_laptop
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

is there any need to keep that Windows System ?

as it can be trickier to dual_boot with that system,
- rather than an complete Erase & an Installation of our LinuxMint System.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

If you absolutely do not need Windows, and you intend to delete it, definitely turn off bitlocker BEFORE eliminating Windows. My own recommendation is the same as the one in the provided link. Reducing the space for Windows and dual booting is reasonable if you have a system that is supported and working. If I have a computer, with a supported system (windows or macOS), I will dual-boot using linux, with a minimal partition for the 'other' system. I have a couple of windows systems, one that I actually use occasionally (without internet access), and another that I haven't booted in at least 2 years. If space on my ssd was an issue, I would delete the second system.

If bitlocker is enabled and Windows is installed in RST mode -- there certainly is a way to keep both. Bitlocker will have to be turned off within windows, and then windows must have the ahci driver installed. Once that happens, with fast boot 'off' in windows and secure boot off in the uefi, linux should install and dual-boot should be possible. There are some other complications with the mok because ubuntu doesn't include mmx64.efi in the efi boot, but whether that makes a difference or not depends on the manufacturer of the uefi.

There's a lot of windows 'garbage' that exists only to protect windows, and it interferes with linux installation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”