New to Linux. Help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrouchyLogic
Level 1
Level 1

New to Linux. Help!

Post by GrouchyLogic »

I have never used any Linux based system. This has been gifted to me and I have no idea what I am doing. I am simply trying to learn to install programs via the terminal. Could anyone help? I have tried sudo install for the Webull Desktop native program and have had no luck.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New to Linux. Help!

Post by RIH »

You can only install Applications through apt in the terminal for items that are in the Repositories - Webull Desktop isn't.

It can be downloaded from their web page
https://www.webullapp.com/introduce/
by left mouse clicking on the Penguin.
This will download a file called
Webull Desktop_7.5.2_global_x64signed_dgqzirq42ayp.deb
that can be installed by right mouse clicking on it & selecting
Open with GDebi Package Installer.

Edit to Add
When the GDebi installer finishes it goes back to its' original position, but tell you that the same instance of the software is already installed.
Don't worry about that, it might be confusing, but is perfectly normal and the Application has been installed.. :D
GrouchyLogic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GrouchyLogic »

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly!
GrouchyLogic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GrouchyLogic »

How do I find the application after the install?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

It should, automagically, appear in the Menu... From there you can add it to Panel/Desktop..

Return to “Beginner Questions”