Failure to Close Down - Message comes saying other users logged on

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Failure to Close Down - Message comes saying other users logged on

Post by Stormdrainer »

I had a problem recently where I could not update the operating system. "dpkg --configure -a" needed to be run manually. I was helped to do that on the forum. However a new problem has now appeared after that was sorted.
I cannot close the computer down when I need to. Everything works until I get to that point, but when I try to shut down a message comes up saying other users are logged on and asking whether I really want to shut down. There is no way, I can see, to say that I really do want to shut down. I have to go a roundabout route to close down but the problem mentioned above occurs again next time I try to close down with the message etc. I would really appreciate if someone could help me to get back to the normal close down procedure.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Failure to Close Down - Message comes saying other users logged on

Post by mikeflan »

Howdy.

Have you recently set up the Google Chrome desktop? If so, see if this helps:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1343872 ... h-i-am-the
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stormdrainer »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have not set up Google Chrome desktop. So I still have the same problem.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Type this in a terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

who && echo && w
If only you are listed try to shutdown.
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Failure to Close Down - Message comes saying other users logged on SOLVED

Post by Stormdrainer »

Thank you for your replies. It's back to normal now. Maybe an update has sorted out the problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”