another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflicts

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflicts

Post by throatgorge »

Hello, long time i no post.
Been a long time since I had linux issues. Mint has been stable for almost the whole time I used it since 12 or 13.
I was given, or sold at a steal, a very good laptop and when I installed linux mint 21 into it is constrantly froze, rebooted or crashed.
Best computer I've ever owned and when i found out it was due to proprietary driver conflicts, I got a little :evil: to think all those hard resets could fry my motherboards and that the problem was caused by microsoft-biased coersion (although that may not be an accurate way to describe it).
I took the recommended course of action and installed Una 20.3 and installed the recommended nvidia driver. (the one recommended was actually .340, but that was not listed as an available driver)
At any rate, it WORKED and I came back to my favorite system after trying arch and ubuntu and getting ready to try fedora.
HOWEVER, I soon found that my monitor display wasn't working due to a disabled HDMI port.
it says "disabled" and the "mirror display" button can not be selected .

Solutions to this problem include installing a kernal that is 6.2, which isn't on my list of available kernals, which likely means whatever kernal I need is a kernal for the upgraded system 21, which was interupting my tasks and slowly destroying my computer several times a day.

Even just chainging the kernal out with whatever I have available is risky.

Would it work if I just rolled back to the earlier driver that worked? the .340 version recommended on the post I saw about rolling back to linux mint 20.3 must have been a good configuration, but how do install a driver if it won't show up in driver manager?

Here's my set-up:
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Hardware Support to Graphics Cards & Monitors.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflicts

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:57 pmHere's my set-up:
Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

I have no clue why you think you would need a 340 driver when a 1650 can use the very latest proprietary driver.

I help with Nvidia issues all the time and I've never heard of there being an HDMI port not working due to "Nvidia conflicts". Port usually do not work because the proper driver is not loaded at boot time. We need to see your system information for us to be able to assess if that is the issue.

Additionally, there should be no reason your hardware cannot use LM21. In fact, with a 3000 series Ryzen I would not recommend using the 5.4 LTS kernel in LM20 versions. The drivers for those Ryzens didn't come out until the 5.8 kernels so best support would be with the 5.15 kernel which is available in Update Manager (if you want to stay with LM20.3).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Thanks for your helpful reply, SMG. No I crashed constantly with 21, crashed constantly with garuda arch-linux, learned along the way that there are certainly nvidia driver compatability issues. Ubuntu was supposed to have the right drivers; tried that. Kept crashing. BUT, found a post on this forum where this problem was solved by rolling back to 20.3 -- and so far it's been three days instead of every 1-3 hours, since I had a system crash, so... kind of worked. Then further found that many people had problems with HDMI port not working. One marked SOLVED was solved by YOU, so it's kind of weird you would tell me you've never heard of a driver conflict causing the HDMI to be disabled. No matter, I hope this information can help, and I'm hoping I can correct this problem, because I got bad eyes and I need my big screen monitor.

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-174-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 
           tk: Gtk 3.24.20 wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una 
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX505DT_TUF505DT v: 1.0 
           serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX505DT v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: FX505DT.316 date: 01/28/2021 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.4 Wh condition: 38.6/48.2 Wh (80%) volts: 12.5/11.9 
           model: FX50442 serial: <filter> status: Unknown 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 
           type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 36732 
           Speed: 3993 MHz min/max: 1400/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3993 2: 3993 3: 1597 
           4: 1597 5: 1597 6: 1597 7: 1597 8: 1597 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: ASUSTeK 
           driver: nvidia v: 535.161.07 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1f91 
           Device-2: AMD Picasso vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 05:00.0 
           chip ID: 1002:15d8 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1280x720~60Hz 
           OpenGL: 
           renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 10 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-174-generic LLVM 12.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           chip ID: 10de:10fa 
           Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 05:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-174-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: AzureWave 
           driver: rtw_pci v: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:c822 
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: nordlynx state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 5.69 TiB used: 1.84 TiB (32.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1002 
           size: 238.47 GiB speed: 15.8 Gb/s lanes: 2 serial: <filter> 
           ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM035-1RK172 size: 931.51 GiB 
           speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           ID-3: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: One Touch HDD size: 4.55 TiB 
           serial: <filter> 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 233.18 GiB used: 83.92 GiB (36.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Device-1: 1-2:2 info: USB OPTICAL MOUSE type: Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 
           chip ID: 30fa:0301 
           Device-2: 1-4:3 info: IMC Networks Bluetooth Radio type: Bluetooth driver: btusb 
           rev: 1.0 chip ID: 13d3:3548 
           Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
           Device-3: 2-3:2 info: Seagate RSS LLC One Touch HDD type: Mass Storage driver: uas 
           rev: 3.2 chip ID: 0bc2:ac41 
           Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Device-4: 3-1:2 info: IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam type: Video driver: uvcvideo 
           rev: 2.0 chip ID: 13d3:56a2 
           Device-5: 3-2:3 info: China Resource Semico USB Keyboard type: Keyboard,HID 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1a2c:5070 
           Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 1 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 62 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3200 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nordvpn.list 
           1: deb https: //repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com una main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:      Processes: 280 Uptime: 2h 56m Memory: 15.13 GiB used: 2.94 GiB (19.4%) Init: systemd 
           v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
           inxi: 3.0.38
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags to inxi output to preserve its formatting making it easier to read.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm BUT, found a post on this forum where this problem was solved by rolling back to 20.3 --
Please provide a link to that post.

Please also check in your BIOS/UEFI to see if there is a setting for which GPU can be used.

The data you posted indicates Nvidia should be the primary, but your system is rendering with AMD.

Additionally, your system is using the latest Nvidia driver. It is not using the 340 driver.

Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: nvidia v: 535.161.07 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1f91
Device-2: AMD Picasso vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 05:00.0
chip ID: 1002:15d8
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1280x720~60Hz
OpenGL:
renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 10 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-174-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6 direct render: Yes
throatgorge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm Then further found that many people had problems with HDMI port not working. One marked SOLVED was solved by YOU, so it's kind of weird you would tell me you've never heard of a driver conflict causing the HDMI to be disabled.
I think perhaps you are using terms that make sense to you, but are not terms which were ones I used.

The only "driver conflict" of which I can think of is when someone installs more than one one driver by installing drivers using two different methods. That's the only way of which drivers would conflict.

What is the output of

xrandr --verbose
Please enclose the results in code tags as described in this tutorial How to use code display tags on forums.linuxmint.com.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Thank you for your response, I will get into my bios and see if that is enabled. The link you requested is viewtopic.php?t=396633
It is only one of many reports that linux mint 21 crashes nvidia drivers.

"There are a number of unsupported options to install a proprietary Nvidia driver for which you may or may not have success (lately it seems like the "not success" is more likely) for a Linux Mint 21 install, but none of them are simple because they essential involve doing things you really do not want to be doing.

If you want to use a proprietary Nvidia driver, install Linux Mint 20.3 and then you can install the Nvidia-340 driver which will be listed in Driver Manager. It will be a simple point and click and then reboot to install. Linux Mint 20.3 is supported for two more years. A number of people have decided that is their better option."

As for the 340 driver, sorry for the confusion, I can see this sentence was written rather badly:
"I took the recommended course of action and installed Una 20.3 and installed the recommended nvidia driver. (the one recommended was actually .340, but that was not listed as an available driver)"

What I meant was:

"...and installed the nvidia driver that was recommened during installation, nvidia- 535. ( the one that was recommended in the post was actually .340, but that was not listed as an available driver )"

My point in bringing that up was I was wondering if there is a way to install a driver that is not listed in the driver manager, so that I could roll back both my system and a working driver.

I neglected to mention that:
1. Similar reports of a system working fine on one device and then freezing all seemed to blame the proprietary drivers.
2. All of my failed installs included updating to the propietary nvidia driver recommended during driver installation through driver manager.
3. Only rolling back to linux mint 20.3 resulted in a stable (4 days now without a crash) installation.
4. I tested two monitors on HDMI and VGA after installing linux mint 20.3 and concluded that the problem was system error, not hardware failure.

I found three additional posts that said that this was a driver problem-- correctly or incorrectly, my logical conclusion is that linux and nvidia do NOT have a happy working situation and there seem to be numerous issues based on proprietry drivers, particularly nvidia. That was the consensus among the dozens of articles I read through each installation.

ONE of those threads included this from SMG:
While in one sense it is better, in another sense there is a problem. You indicated in your first post you installed the Nvidia-535 driver, but that is not what is showing as installed.

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] vendor: Dell
driver: nvidia v: 525.125.06 pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 01:00.0
chip-ID: 10de:25a0 class-ID: 0300

Additionally, the dpkg output shows you installed the Nvidia-525-open driver which is a problem.

ii nvidia-dkms-525-open 525.125.06-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA DKMS package (open kernel module)
ii nvidia-driver-525-open 525.125.06-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA driver (open kernel) metapackage

The nvidia display driver should be loaded in On-demand mode on the line I highlighted and it is not. That is one of the problems which can happen with the open driver.

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0 screens: 1

Unfortunately, the open drivers are rather uncooperative about being removed and have to be removed manually.

Remove all nvidia packages by running the following in a terminal
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am Thank you for your response, I will get into my bios and see if that is enabled. The link you requested is viewtopic.php?t=396633
It is only one of many reports that linux mint 21 crashes nvidia drivers.
That link specifically says the Nvidia-340 driver is not supported on LM21 versions which is it not. That driver went end of life in 2019. That person has an older GPU which can only use the Nvidia-340 driver which is not your situation. Therefore the advice in that post for that user with that older GPU to go back to LM20.3 which does have support for the Nvidia-340 is not relevant to your situation because you have a different GPU and there are drivers for your GPU in LM21 versions.

Tips for Troubleshooting Graphics Issues (including external monitors not working) which is a sticky at the top of the Graphics Cards & Monitors forum has a section on Nvidia drivers which explains the Nvidia-340 driver is only supported for LM20 versions.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am My point in bringing that up was I was wondering if there is a way to install a driver that is not listed in the driver manager, so that I could roll back both my system and a working driver.
Your point in bringing that up is making it clear you did not understand the topic has no relevance at all to your situation. No one with 1650 GPU like you have should be using the Nvidia-340 driver.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 amONE of those threads included this from SMG:
While in one sense it is better, in another sense there is a problem. You indicated in your first post you installed the Nvidia-535 driver, but that is not what is showing as installed.

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] vendor: Dell
driver: nvidia v: 525.125.06 pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 01:00.0
chip-ID: 10de:25a0 class-ID: 0300

Additionally, the dpkg output shows you installed the Nvidia-525-open driver which is a problem.

ii nvidia-dkms-525-open 525.125.06-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA DKMS package (open kernel module)
ii nvidia-driver-525-open 525.125.06-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA driver (open kernel) metapackage

The nvidia display driver should be loaded in On-demand mode on the line I highlighted and it is not. That is one of the problems which can happen with the open driver.

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0 screens: 1

Unfortunately, the open drivers are rather uncooperative about being removed and have to be removed manually.

Remove all nvidia packages by running the following in a terminal
That Tips topic also has a note in large font which says not to use drivers with "open" in the name. What you just quoted was someone who installed a driver with "open" in the name. If you would have installed an LM21 version like you should do, then you will not get the option for an "open" driver so you don't have to worry about that. That problem can only happen when using LM20 versions.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am I neglected to mention that:
1. Similar reports of a system working fine on one device and then freezing all seemed to blame the proprietary drivers.
2. All of my failed installs included updating to the propietary nvidia driver recommended during driver installation through driver manager.
3. Only rolling back to linux mint 20.3 resulted in a stable (4 days now without a crash) installation.
4. I tested two monitors on HDMI and VGA after installing linux mint 20.3 and concluded that the problem was system error, not hardware failure.

I found three additional posts that said that this was a driver problem-- correctly or incorrectly, my logical conclusion is that linux and nvidia do NOT have a happy working situation and there seem to be numerous issues based on proprietry drivers, particularly nvidia. That was the consensus among the dozens of articles I read through each installation.
You have misunderstood the two examples you posted so it is quite possible you are misunderstanding the others as well.

It would be nice if you provided the information I requested rather than attempting to explain to me that I didn't understand what I posted in the past.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

I did not find any setting for GPU in the boot menu, unfortunately.
So my situation is: all installations of a linux operating system on this laptop, with nvidia drivers, fail except linux mint 20.3. Additionally it is worth mentioning that before I could update to nvidia-535, 20.3 crashed THREE TIMES, but after the driver was installed there were no further crashes, going on four days now. There is no doubt in my mind that driver conflicts were my problem.
The fact that my HDMI port failed to connect and was disabled exactly after installing this system and this driver was either a coincedental hardware failure or a system error that is preventing me from using the HDMI port. I consider it highly unlikely that a hardware failure that is already improbable, should be the cause of my HDMI being disabled.
When searching for solutions to this problem, every post I encountered at least partially indicated that driver conflicts were causing this problem, including this post: viewtopic.php?p=2352520#p2352520
Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but SMG said:
I did not install the open driver, but that seems to indicate to me that driver incompatability can cause this problem.
Fortunately, you have been helpful and responsive, so I am hopeful that with a better understanding of my problem you may have some more ideas.
Anyway my BIOS/UFEI did not appear to have any option to get into GPU.
Thanks for all your help and I hope I have explained my methods, logic, and conclusions and hope that you can now correct any of my errors or misconceptions that may be hindering me from enabling my HDMI port.

One thing is certain-- I can not upgrade to mint 21, it absolutely will cause system instability and failures. That failed with both the default generic drivers and the recommended nvidia drivers.

And to be clear, I have used linux mint since v-13 and only experienced system failures for the first year and a half. Other than that, linux mint has been stable, reliable, and bulletproof to anything but USER ERROR. After upgrading my device to a system that uses nvidia drivers-- NOW SUDDENLY I am having issues.

As about three different sources recommended, rolling back to mint 20.3 solved my problem. All of those posts included comments by numerous users that 21 and nvidia drivers are not working well together. Hopefully in the year and 9 months until this system is put to pasture, whatever problem there is that makes 21 crash will be corrected by the time this build becomes unsupported, either in an update of 21 or in whatever the most recent version will be at the time.

More to the point, when I installed Garuda and Ubuntu I was going by the recommendation of a friend who has far more experience and expertise than me. When I decided to try it my way instead, I found that my installation was stable and did not crash. My friend and I both researched the problem and both of us came to the same conclusion-- the proprietary nvidia drivers are an issue and have been causing system failures for more people than just me.

Typical for me, with my half baked shoot from the hip hunches and sophmoric logic, I will solve a problem only to find that my solution causes another problem-- thus my disabled HDMI port.

Thank you for being patient with me.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

That link specifically says the Nvidia-340 driver is not supported on LM21 versions which is it not. That driver went end of life in 2019. That person has an older GPU which can only use the Nvidia-340 driver which is not your situation. Therefore the advice in that post for that user with that older GPU to go back to LM20.3 which does have support for the Nvidia-340 is not relevant to your situation because you have a different GPU and there are drivers for your GPU in LM21 versions.
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought perhaps rolling back to an earlier driver would solve a problem with newer ones. Clearly the newer ones are working better, as I could not find the 340 and installed the 535 instead.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Thank you for being patient, I only just rebooted after going into my BIOS. Here is the output of xrandr --verbose:

zoltimec@donnyburger:~$ xrandr --verbose
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 720, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP connected primary 1280x720+0+0 (0x5b) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
	Identifier: 0x53
	Timestamp:  9562
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Gamma:      1.0:1.0:1.0
	Brightness: 1.0
	Clones:    
	CRTC:       0
	CRTCs:      0 1 2 3
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
	           filter: 
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff0038702d0000000000
		011c010495221378036850985c588e28
		1b505400000001010101010101010101
		0101010101011a3680a070381f403020
		350058c21000001a1a3680a070384942
		3020350058c21000001a000000fd0028
		3c43430e010a202020202020000000fe
		004c4d3135364c462d434c30330a00e7
	GAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096 
		range: (0, -1)
	DEGAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096 
	GAMMA_LUT: 0 
		range: (0, 65535)
	CTM: 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 
		0 1 
	DEGAMMA_LUT: 0 
	TearFree: auto 
		supported: off, on, auto
	vrr_capable: 1 
		range: (0, 1)
	abm level: 0 
		range: (0, 4)
	max bpc: 8 
		range: (8, 16)
	underscan vborder: 0 
		range: (0, 128)
	underscan hborder: 0 
	underscan: off 
	scaling mode: None 
		supported: None, Full, Center, Full aspect
	link-status: Good 
		supported: Good, Bad
	CONNECTOR_ID: 64 
		supported: 64
	non-desktop: 0 
  1920x1080 (0x55) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync +preferred
        h: width  1920 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1920x1080 (0x56) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width  1920 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1665           clock  39.99Hz
  1680x1050 (0x57) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width  1680 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height 1050 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1280x1024 (0x58) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width  1280 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height 1024 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1440x900 (0x59) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width  1440 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height  900 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1280x800 (0x5a) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        v: height  800 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1280x720 (0x5b) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync *current
        v: height  720 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  1024x768 (0x5c) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width  1024 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height  768 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  800x600 (0x5d) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width   800 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height  600 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
  640x480 (0x5e) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
        h: width   640 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew    0 clock  66.59KHz
        v: height  480 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111           clock  59.93Hz
HDMI-1-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x1dc
	Timestamp:  5661
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Clones:    
	CRTCs:      4 5 6 7
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	           filter: 
	PRIME Synchronization: 1 
		supported: 0, 1
		0 1 
	CscMatrix: 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0 
	BorderDimensions: 4 
		supported: 4
	Border: 0 0 0 0 
	SignalFormat: TMDS 
		supported: TMDS
	ConnectorType: HDMI 
	ConnectorNumber: 0 
	_ConnectorLocation: 0 
Last edited by SMG on Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed quote tags to code tags. Code tags retain the formatting from the terminal making the output easier to read.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Also just tried updating the kernal. 5.15.101 This failed to enable the HDMI port. Hopefully the kernal update doesn't cause any issues, but I know how to roll it back to what I had if it does.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 amOne thing is certain-- I can not upgrade to mint 21, it absolutely will cause system instability and failures. That failed with both the default generic drivers and the recommended nvidia drivers.
So if it fails with the open-source nouveau and the proprietary Nvidia drivers then blaming the proprietary drivers like you did below is not accurate:
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 amMy friend and I both researched the problem and both of us came to the same conclusion-- the proprietary nvidia drivers are an issue and have been causing system failures for more people than just me.
It sounds like there may be other problems with that laptop, especially because you are now currently using proprietary Nvidia drivers and the laptop is working.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:25 am Thank you for being patient, I only just rebooted after going into my BIOS. Here is the output of xrandr --verbose:
The output shows the HDMI port, indicates it is connected to the Nvidia GPU, and shows nothing connected to it. Did you have a monitor connected when you ran this?

What mode is showing in your nvidia-prime-applet (it's in the panel)?

By the way, why is your laptop screen set for 1280 x 720? The preferred resolution is 1920x1080.

eDP connected primary 1280x720+0+0 (0x5b) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
  1920x1080 (0x55) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync +preferred
   1280x720 (0x5b) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync *current
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 amThis failed to enable the HDMI port.
What exactly does that mean because the port is showing as enabled on all the data you have posted so far. What exactly are you seeing or not seeing on the monitor you have connected to the HDMI port? Please give details rather than using terms which have different meaning for you than they do for us.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

I did not, I'll run that again with the monitor plugged in and turned on. my monitor worked with the operating systems I've installed in this computer before. The only thing that has changed is the installation and the drivers. everything worked fine on other linux builds, but crashed/froze or just suddenly rebooted for no reason every 1-3 hours, sometimes even sooner than that, like oh wow, that wasn't even 5 minutes.
okay here's the results with the monitor plugged in.
zoltimec@donnyburger:~$ xrandr --verbose
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (0x55) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
Identifier: 0x53
Timestamp: 337871
Subpixel: unknown
Gamma: 1.0:1.0:1.0
Brightness: 1.0
Clones:
CRTC: 0
CRTCs: 0 1 2 3
Transform: 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
filter:
EDID:
00ffffffffffff0038702d0000000000
011c010495221378036850985c588e28
1b505400000001010101010101010101
0101010101011a3680a070381f403020
350058c21000001a1a3680a070384942
3020350058c21000001a000000fd0028
3c43430e010a202020202020000000fe
004c4d3135364c462d434c30330a00e7
GAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096
DEGAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096
GAMMA_LUT: 0
0 1
DEGAMMA_LUT: 0
TearFree: auto
HDCP Content Type: HDCP Type0
supported: HDCP Type0, HDCP Type1
Content Protection: Undesired
supported: Undesired, Desired, Enabled
vrr_capable: 1
abm level: 0
range: (0, 4)
max bpc: 16
range: (8, 16)
underscan vborder: 0
underscan hborder: 0
underscan: off
scaling mode: None
supported: None, Full, Center, Full aspect
link-status: Good
supported: Good, Bad
CONNECTOR_ID: 78
supported: 78
1920x1080 (0x55) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync *current +preferred
h: width 1920 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1920x1080 (0x56) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 1920 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1665 clock 39.99Hz
1680x1050 (0x57) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 1680 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 1050 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1280x1024 (0x58) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 1280 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 1024 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1440x900 (0x59) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 1440 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 900 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1280x800 (0x5a) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
v: height 800 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1280x720 (0x5b) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
v: height 720 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
1024x768 (0x5c) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 1024 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 768 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
800x600 (0x5d) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 800 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 600 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
640x480 (0x5e) 138.500MHz +HSync -VSync
h: width 640 start 1968 end 2000 total 2080 skew 0 clock 66.59KHz
v: height 480 start 1083 end 1088 total 1111 clock 59.93Hz
HDMI-1-0 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
Identifier: 0x1dc
Timestamp: 6492
Subpixel: unknown
Clones:
CRTCs: 4 5 6 7
Transform: 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
filter:
EDID:
00ffffffffffff00593a950001010101
00170103803d23782aeafd9e5356a026
0d474aa5ce0001010101010101010101
010101010101662150b051001b304070
36005f592100001e6419004041002630
188836005f5921000018000000fc0045
3238302d41310a2020202020000000fd
00384c1f500f000a202020202020011f
0707150750830100006c030c00100000
1ec001010101011d007251d01e206e28
55005f592100001e023a801871382d40
582c45005f592100001e011d8018711c
1620582c25005f592100009e8c0ad08a
20e02d10103e9600cc59110000180000
PRIME Synchronization: 1
0 1
CscMatrix: 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0 0 0 0 65536 0
BorderDimensions: 4
supported: 4
Border: 0 0 0 0
SignalFormat: TMDS
supported: TMDS
ConnectorType: HDMI
ConnectorNumber: 0
_ConnectorLocation: 0
1360x768 (0x857) 85.500MHz +HSync +VSync +preferred
h: width 1360 start 1424 end 1536 total 1792 skew 0 clock 47.71KHz
v: height 768 start 771 end 777 total 795 clock 60.02Hz
1920x1080 (0x842) 148.500MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2008 end 2052 total 2200 skew 0 clock 67.50KHz
v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock 60.00Hz
1920x1080 (0x843) 148.350MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2008 end 2052 total 2200 skew 0 clock 67.43KHz
v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock 59.94Hz
1920x1080 (0x858) 74.180MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2558 end 2602 total 2750 skew 0 clock 26.97KHz
v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock 23.98Hz
1280x720 (0x849) 74.250MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1280 start 1390 end 1430 total 1650 skew 0 clock 45.00KHz
v: height 720 start 725 end 730 total 750 clock 60.00Hz
1280x720 (0x84a) 74.180MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1280 start 1390 end 1430 total 1650 skew 0 clock 44.96KHz
v: height 720 start 725 end 730 total 750 clock 59.94Hz
1024x768 (0x84b) 78.750MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1024 start 1040 end 1136 total 1312 skew 0 clock 60.02KHz
v: height 768 start 769 end 772 total 800 clock 75.03Hz
1024x768 (0x84c) 75.000MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 1024 start 1048 end 1184 total 1328 skew 0 clock 56.48KHz
v: height 768 start 771 end 777 total 806 clock 70.07Hz
1024x768 (0x84d) 65.000MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 1024 start 1048 end 1184 total 1344 skew 0 clock 48.36KHz
v: height 768 start 771 end 777 total 806 clock 60.00Hz
800x600 (0x84e) 49.500MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 800 start 816 end 896 total 1056 skew 0 clock 46.88KHz
v: height 600 start 601 end 604 total 625 clock 75.00Hz
800x600 (0x84f) 50.000MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 800 start 856 end 976 total 1040 skew 0 clock 48.08KHz
v: height 600 start 637 end 643 total 666 clock 72.19Hz
800x600 (0x850) 40.000MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 800 start 840 end 968 total 1056 skew 0 clock 37.88KHz
v: height 600 start 601 end 605 total 628 clock 60.32Hz
720x480 (0x853) 27.000MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 720 start 736 end 798 total 858 skew 0 clock 31.47KHz
v: height 480 start 489 end 495 total 525 clock 59.94Hz
640x480 (0x854) 31.500MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 640 start 656 end 720 total 840 skew 0 clock 37.50KHz
v: height 480 start 481 end 484 total 500 clock 75.00Hz
640x480 (0x856) 25.175MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 640 start 656 end 752 total 800 skew 0 clock 31.47KHz
v: height 480 start 490 end 492 total 525 clock 59.94Hz
640x480 (0x859) 25.170MHz -HSync -VSync
h: width 640 start 656 end 752 total 800 skew 0 clock 31.46KHz
v: height 480 start 490 end 492 total 525 clock 59.93Hz
zoltimec@donnyburger:~$
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

SMG, my friend! THANK YOU ofr pointing out the applet to me! It currently says "on demand"
I can now access settings for my drivers! one of the posts I was researching, said something about performance mode. should I try that?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm I did not, I'll run that again with the monitor plugged in and turned on. my monitor worked with the operating systems I've installed in this computer before. The only thing that has changed is the installation and the drivers. everything worked fine on other linux builds, but crashed/froze or just suddenly rebooted for no reason every 1-3 hours, sometimes even sooner than that, like oh wow, that wasn't even 5 minutes.
There is some other problem happening. I'll see what I can find about your model laptop.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pmokay here's the results with the monitor plugged in.
Please do not quote terminal output. I specifically gave you a link to a tutorial on how to use code tags because using code tags retains the formatting from the terminal. You are stripping out all the formatting when you use quote tags. Please scroll up to your previous post where I changed the tags and notice how nicely lined up all the columns are. And then scroll down to see your post with the quote tags which has no formatting at all. Nothing is lined up properly.

This data you just posted is showing an EDID for the monitor you have connected which means the system is seeing the monitor. The HDMI port is working. The preferred resolution of the monitor is 1360x768.

HDMI-1-0 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	EDID: 
		00ffffffffffff00593a950001010101
		00170103803d23782aeafd9e5356a026
		0d474aa5ce0001010101010101010101
		010101010101662150b051001b304070
		36005f592100001e6419004041002630
		188836005f5921000018000000fc0045
		3238302d41310a2020202020000000fd
		00384c1f500f000a202020202020011f
		0707150750830100006c030c00100000
		1ec001010101011d007251d01e206e28
		55005f592100001e023a801871382d40
		582c45005f592100001e011d8018711c
		1620582c25005f592100009e8c0ad08a
		20e02d10103e9600cc59110000180000
  1360x768 (0x857) 85.500MHz +HSync +VSync +preferred
        h: width  1360 start 1424 end 1536 total 1792 skew    0 clock  47.71KHz
        v: height  768 start  771 end  777 total  795           clock  60.02Hz
It appears this is a monitor setting issue. Make sure you do not have the displays set to mirror in the Display app.

What exactly are you seeing on the monitor's screen?

Can you select 1360 x768 in the Display app for the external monitor?
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:08 pm SMG, my friend! THANK YOU ofr pointing out the applet to me! It currently says "on demand"
I can now access settings for my drivers! one of the posts I was researching, said something about performance mode. should I try that?
No. Leave it in on-demand mode. Your laptop monitor is connected to the AMD GPU so you need to be using both GPUs which is what On-demand mode does.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Nothing at at appears in the monitor screen. Just the "no signal" message from the monitor itself. my apologies, I will not use the quotebox to paste any copied text from the terminal. I can not select 1360 x768 from my display settings.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

I set it to 1280x720 which is as close as I can get. Then I tried to set it to "only (monitor)" with the same results-- screen went blank on the laptop and remained "no signal" on the monitor. The ability to select mirrored displays, which I thank you for telling me to avoid, is disabled. I couldn't, if I wanted to.

I keep wondering why I did not have this issue when I installed all the other distros I tried.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm Nothing at at appears in the monitor screen. Just the "no signal" message from the monitor itself.
There is a difference between nothing on the screen and seeing "no signal" on the screen. No signal can often indicate a hardware-related issue or the monitor trying to use the wrong resolution (which is likely the case here).

The EDID information indicates this is a VIZ Model 149 monitor made in 2013. Is that the information you have for it or is there something else on it? (Sometimes monitor manufacturers put different labels on the monitor so it may say something else.)

There are two detailed modes showing, 1360x768 and 1024x768 (both at ~60Hz). However, xrandr did not show any resolution in the list being used so I don't know what it is trying to use as the resolution.

Is this a monitor or a TV?
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

I have a monitor and a TV. The Viz is a TV. I've tried both. it is a TV I bought in 2013 and have used as a monitor very much the time.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:13 pm I have a monitor and a TV. The Viz is a TV. I've tried both. it is a TV I bought in 2013 and have used as a monitor very much the time.
TVs can often times be more likely to have issues like this which is why I asked.

The port is being seen by the operating system and the EDID is passing through to the operating system so this is not an issue of the port not working or being disabled. In fact, the screenshots in your initial post shows the operating system is seeing the Vizio and information is coming through to the computer. That information indicates it is the monitor which is disabled.

I want you to boot with the monitor attached and then provide the output of

journalctl -b | grep -i "drm\|nvidia\|NVRM\|01:00.0"
and enclose the results in code tags.

It helps if you are consistent and provide output with the same conditions (with the monitor attached) when doing the troubleshooting in this topic.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

zoltimec@donnyburger:~$ journalctl -b | grep -i "drm\|nvidia\|NVRM\|01:00.0"
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: [10de:1f91] type 00 class 0x030000
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x10: [mem 0xf6000000-0xf6ffffff]
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x14: [mem 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff 64bit pref]
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x1c: [mem 0xd0000000-0xd1ffffff 64bit pref]
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x24: [io  0xf000-0xf07f]
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: reg 0x30: [mem 0xf7000000-0xf707ffff pref]
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: PME# supported from D0 D3hot
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: 63.008 Gb/s available PCIe bandwidth, limited by 8.0 GT/s PCIe x8 link at 0000:00:01.1 (capable of 126.016 Gb/s with 8.0 GT/s PCIe x16 link)
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=none,locks=none
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: bridge control possible
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.1: D0 power state depends on 0000:01:00.0
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: pci 0000:01:00.0: Adding to iommu group 9
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RAVEN 0x1002:0x15D8 0x1043:0x18F1 0xC1).
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] register mmio base: 0xF7500000
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] register mmio size: 524288
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 0 <soc15_common>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 1 <gmc_v9_0>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 2 <vega10_ih>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 3 <psp>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 4 <gfx_v9_0>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 5 <sdma_v4_0>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 6 <powerplay>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 7 <dm>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] add ip block number 8 <vcn_v1_0>
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] VCN decode is enabled in VM mode
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] VCN encode is enabled in VM mode
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] JPEG decode is enabled in VM mode
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] vm size is 262144 GB, 4 levels, block size is 9-bit, fragment size is 9-bit
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=512M, BAR=512M
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR4
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] amdgpu: 512M of VRAM memory ready
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] amdgpu: 3072M of GTT memory ready.
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] GART: num cpu pages 262144, num gpu pages 262144
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] PCIE GART of 1024M enabled.
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] PTB located at 0x000000F400900000
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] Found VCN firmware Version ENC: 1.9 DEC: 1 VEP: 0 Revision: 28
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] reserve 0x400000 from 0xf41fc00000 for PSP TMR
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] kiq ring mec 2 pipe 1 q 0
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB: values for F clock
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         400000 in kHz, 2749 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         933000 in kHz, 3224 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         1067000 in kHz, 3924 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         1200000 in kHz, 4074 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB: values for DCF clock
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         300000 in kHz, 2749 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         600000 in kHz, 3224 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         626000 in kHz, 3924 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] DM_PPLIB:         654000 in kHz, 4074 in mV
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] Display Core initialized with v3.2.149!
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] VCN decode and encode initialized successfully(under SPG Mode).
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] fb mappable at 0x41FBCA000
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] vram apper at 0x41F000000
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] size 8294400
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] fb depth is 24
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm]    pitch is 7680
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: fbcon: amdgpudrmfb (fb0) is primary device
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: amdgpu 0000:05:00.0: [drm] fb0: amdgpudrmfb frame buffer device
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger kernel: [drm] Initialized amdgpu 3.42.0 20150101 for 0000:05:00.0 on minor 0
Mar 27 18:15:51 donnyburger systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Load Kernel Module drm being skipped.
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1711584952.315:7): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=702 comm="apparmor_parser"
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1711584952.315:8): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod" pid=702 comm="apparmor_parser"
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger audit[702]: AVC apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=702 comm="apparmor_parser"
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger audit[702]: AVC apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod" pid=702 comm="apparmor_parser"
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.1/sound/card0/input15
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.1/sound/card0/input16
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.1/sound/card0/input17
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 508
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  535.161.07  Sat Feb 17 22:55:48 UTC 2024
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.1/sound/card0/input18
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  535.161.07  Sat Feb 17 23:07:24 UTC 2024
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia_uvm: module uses symbols from proprietary module nvidia, inheriting taint.
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger kernel: nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver, major device number 506.
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger systemd[1]: Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon...
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger nvidia-persistenced[1004]: Verbose syslog connection opened
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger nvidia-persistenced[1004]: Now running with user ID 127 and group ID 136
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger nvidia-persistenced[1004]: Started (1004)
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger nvidia-persistenced[1004]: device 0000:01:00.0 - registered
Mar 27 18:15:52 donnyburger nvidia-persistenced[1004]: Local RPC services initialized
Mar 27 18:15:53 donnyburger systemd[1]: Started NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”