NetworkManager and Wireguard

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
selflock
Level 1
Level 1

NetworkManager and Wireguard

Post by selflock »

I'm trying to setup a few WireGuard connections on 21.3 and I can't seem to figure out how to do that through Network Manager. Is this something that is supported? If not, what's the most straight forward way to set up WireGuard configs via GUI? I know it can be done via CLI but I'd prefer a GUI for this one.

Thanks!
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: NetworkManager and Wireguard

Post by Coggy »

In my opinion, Network Manager's attempt to manage wireguard is a complete shambles. It can stop a running wireguard, but can't start it again. Hovering over the NM applet says Connected to WIREGUARD, but doesn't say which one. No kidding Sherlock! Of course its connected to wireguard (assuming Wireguard is configured). Of course, the applet no longer bothers to say whether the WiFi is connected or not, let alone which access point it's connected to. It says "Connected to WIREGUARD" even if the WiFi is down. It's worse than a waste of space.

My advice is to use the wg-quick configuration file that the wireguard web site recommends, and use the panel's wireguard applet to enable and disable wireguard as required. Or use systemctl start/stop wg-quick@<vpn-name>.

Return to “Networking”