Following upgrade to 21.3 screensaver doesn't launch correctly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Following upgrade to 21.3 screensaver doesn't launch correctly

Post by bearzlos »

Hello. I upgraded from 20.3 to 21.3 two days ago. Followed the online instructions (that is, NOT a clean install) and did all the usual updating of packages.

I was and continue to run X-Screensaver (XScreenSaver 5.45, 08-Dec-2020) to call up a folder of pictures. Everything ran smoothly prior to the upgrade but now after the expected few minutes pause following no keyboard activity the screensaver no longer launches to play the pictures. Instead the screen slightly dims -- looking almost like when a drop-down box is grayed-out -- and the desktop image remains. So it's as if
X-screensaver is trying to launch but then interrupts.

If from the menu I open Screensaver Preferences and click on "Preview" the screensaver appears to launch but only plays the first picture. Never goes through the folder of pictures I assigned to the screensaver. I have looked at the "Settings" tab and cannot find anything that would account for either the screen dimming or screen saver failing to launch correctly.

Everything I am doing is from the GUI as my skills at the command line are very limited.

Any help getting XScreensaver running properly is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
bearslos
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread moved to "Software & Applications"
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Following upgrade to 21.3 screensaver doesn't launch correctly

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:03 pm Hello. I upgraded from 20.3 to 21.3 two days ago. Followed the online instructions (that is, NOT a clean install) and did all the usual updating of packages.

I was and continue to run X-Screensaver (XScreenSaver 5.45, 08-Dec-2020) to call up a folder of pictures.
Are you referencing this customized screensaver you are using on Cinnamon <SOLVED> screensaver using my folder of pictures?? Which one of those methods did you end up using?

What did you do with the native cinnamon-screensaver which normally runs on Cinnamon?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

As best I can tell the native screensaver is not enabled.

The customized XScreensaver has been running now since that previous thread. Worked perfectly until this update to Mint 21.3.

Thanks.
bearslos
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pmThe customized XScreensaver has been running now since that previous thread. Worked perfectly until this update to Mint 21.3.
Did you check to see if it was working in LM21 before you upgraded to LM21.3?

Mutter/muffin had a significant redesign for LM21 and future versions. I do not know if that might affect how xscreensaver works. I also don't know if your system may have been upgraded to a newer version of xscreensaver as part of the upgrades you did.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

I did not. Went from 20.2 to 20.3 using the Update Manager. Then straight to 21.3 from the command line
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 pm I did not. Went from 20.2 to 20.3 using the Update Manager. Then straight to 21.3 from the command line
I don't understand. There is no command line functionality to go from 20.3 to 21.3.

Here are the Upgrade Instructions for new Linux Mint releases.
  • One goes from 20.2 to 20.3 using Update Manager
  • Then one goes from 20.3 to 21 using the mintupgrade process.
  • Then one goes from 21 to 21.3 using Update Manager.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

I am sorry. My fingers were flying faster than my brain could process.

We used the command line to update the system and install, then ran "mintupgrade" (the GUI app) per
instructions published in the Linux Mint blog.

First I handled the "trivial" 20.2 to 20.3 upgrade using the Update Manager. Then the 20.3 to 21 upgrade and then the upgrade to 21.3.

Hope this is clearer. Did not mean to indicate that there was a magical "warp-speed" upgrade directly to 21.3.
bearslos
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bearzlos wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 amDid not mean to indicate that there was a magical "warp-speed" upgrade directly to 21.3.
bearslos
Some people have made their own upgrade paths which is why I asked.

I am not familiar with xscreensaver to know how it works. Maybe someone else will know if the changes made in the underlying programs for Cinnamon might be a factor in your customized implementation.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

I appreciate your time and expertise. :o)
bearslos
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Just found this thread, I have the same issue but I upgraded to 21.3 from 21.2. Xscreensaver worked fine in 21.2, in 21.3 it will not self start. If I start it manually it will then operate normally. I have also noticed on occasion that it will start by itself if left for a long time. I boot up 21.3 and sometime after an hour of two of me not paying attention to it it will start displaying my collection of photos. I use GLscreensaver
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games

Return to “Software & Applications”