Share a directory for other sessions users in xfce

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jovial
Level 1
Level 1

Share a directory for other sessions users in xfce

Post by Jovial »

Hello, I'm preparing a machine for children under LM lite xcfe with several sessions: Zilou, Thioré, Guest
I want to share the Films directory: /home/zilou/Films with Thiore, in Tunar/Properties/Permissions I have set Read & Write permissions everywhere for my directory via the interface.
I created a symbolic link on /home/thiore which points to /home/zilou/Films but when I tried to open it on the session it asked me which application to open it with. put file manager and it reopens a Thunard window without opening the directory.
Same if I entry /home/zilou/Films in Thunard

What did I do to make this not work and in short how can I share a directory for other sessions user on a PC?
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title: it is "xfce", not "xcfe", corrected accordingly
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Share a directory for other sessions users in xcfe

Post by altair4 »

Let's start with the easy part:
I want to share the Films directory: /home/zilou/Films with Thiore, in Tunar/Properties/Permissions I have set Read & Write permissions everywhere for my directory via the interface.

I created a symbolic link on /home/thiore which points to /home/zilou/Films but when I tried to open it on the session it asked me which application to open it with.
Only zilou can get to Films because of the default permissions in Mint on home directories. To fix the symlink:

Open a terminal as zilou and run:

Code: Select all

chmod o+x /home/zilou
Now thiore can follow the symlink to the Films directory
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Other topics”