Advice on using Linux on old laptop -continuation post-

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jujejo
Level 1
Level 1

Advice on using Linux on old laptop -continuation post-

Post by Jujejo »

This is the continuation to this post: viewtopic.php?p=2435433#p2435433

First of all I wanted to say thank you for being so patient with me, as you have noticed so far my knowledge about laptops is quite poor, I did not realise at the time that RAM was so important :shock:

Anyway here how my journey has been. The laptop I was talking about is now dead anyway. I followed your advice and got some 4GB RAM, I learn the hard way how to put it properly…after I broke the slot by being too forcefully, then watched YouTube tutorials on how to do it, was too late and then the laptop won’t switch on anymore, I will not be getting another motherboard as I don’t feel confident in changing it.

Anyway I got this other laptop I also got second hand similar to the other but a bit newer with also Windows 7. This laptop in particular worked fine for some months then the hard disk died (issues with no system operative found/ won’t boot anymore, tried many suggestions only thing that worked is getting rid of the hard disk), so In the end following you suggestion I got also a SSD disk but only 128 GB, as I saw video of a guy upgrading a laptop with only that and thought perhaps is enough, as I’m not planning on having any big files.

So anyway. I have put the SSD for this laptop and installed windows 7 from a CD I got off EBay ( no product key) it has been a pain to say the least in getting all the drivers and now is asking me for a product key which I thought that wouldn’t happen as this laptop itself has originally windows 7 on it) so well I’m so fed up I’m going to go forward and install Linux Mint in this laptop and wanted to ask you your opinions about how would Linux this time work.

This laptop is a Samsung Pentium dual core cpu t4500 @2.30 GHz 2.30 GHz RAM 3 GB

Unfortunately the 4 GB of Ram I got for the other now dead laptop cannot be used here as this laptop has DDR3 and the other had DDR2 so it is useless for what I read.

Now with the SSD in and the 3GB works fine, I’m just wondering if you still think that for Linux Mint I should still be getting 4GB instead.

Also is a SSD 128 GB enough? I’m not planning on keeping big files. I just want to at least have something that I don’t have to stress anymore about. My using will be basic: surfing internet, YouTube videos, open office… im not into gaming or won’t use any special programs.

Some people were suggesting to install a different Linux which is lighter and better for old laptops. They say in the internet this type of Linux is the most user friendly and easier to use if you are used to Windows.

Thank you
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected post link.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Advice on using Linux on old laptop -continuation post-

Post by sleeper12 »

In the other thread, I mentioned Sparkylinux LXQT, but I posted the wrong link for 32-bit. It works fine for me with just 2 GB of RAM. Here is the correct link if you care to try it, it's the third one down:
https://sparkylinux.org/download/oldstable/
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

The amount of RAM one needs is almost always about how multi-tasking you are. If you open only 2 to 3 webpages + office documents at the same time, 3GB may be able to fulfill the demand. You can always check out the RAM usage after installing Linux Mint, and see your actual RAM usage in real time / how often it hit the "swap". Then buy RAM later if you find your daily usage pattern is possible to fill up the RAM. The official requirement of Linux Mint on RAM is 2GB minimum and 4GB recommended.

Depending on the available RAM slot and the exact model of your laptop, you may be able to upgrade it to >4GB RAM. Knowing the CPU inside narrows down the search range but we still have to "guess", so no concrete advice can be given yet.

Try booting the computer up with a Linux Mint live USB, then post the system report > system information found there.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Jujejo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pmNow with the SSD in and the 3GB works fine, I’m just wondering if you still think that for Linux Mint I should still be getting 4GB instead.

Also is a SSD 128 GB enough? I’m not planning on keeping big files. I just want to at least have something that I don’t have to stress any more about. My using will be basic: surfing internet, YouTube videos, open office… im not into gaming or won’t use any special programs.
I have a travelling laptop, ASUS TP200S, with Linux Mint Cinnamon and it has 2GB of RAM and 30GB of storage. It has a slot for a micro SD card so an additional 30GB has been plugged in.

It isn't the fastest but it does for emails and checking things on the web. Yes, I can also do documents.
The other laptop, Acer TMP259, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD, is a bit faster and bigger.

I have fitted SSDs and Linux Mint to over 50 laptops which turns slow devices into fast easy to use computers. RAM varies from 2GB upwards. A few were Toshiba Tecras and they only have 2GB of RAM.
SSDs vary from 120GB up to 500GB all depending on what has been available.
Jujejo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jujejo »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:20 pm In the other thread, I mentioned Sparkylinux LXQT, but I posted the wrong link for 32-bit. It works fine for me with just 2 GB of RAM. Here is the correct link if you care to try it, it's the third one down:
Thank you for your reply. I’m going to have a look at the Linux you and others have suggested. I will probably still first try Mint, just because it seems like it has more support and is more beginner friendly… and see how it goes , regards
Jujejo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jujejo »

billyswong wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:20 am The amount of RAM one needs is almost always about how multi-tasking you are. If you open only 2 to 3 webpages + office documents at the same time, 3GB may be able to fulfill the demand. You can always check out the RAM usage after installing Linux Mint, and see your actual RAM usage in real time / how often it hit the "swap". Then buy RAM later if you find your daily usage pattern is possible to fill up the RAM. The official requirement of Linux Mint on RAM is 2GB minimum and 4GB recommended.

Depending on the available RAM slot and the exact model of your laptop, you may be able to upgrade it to >4GB RAM. Knowing the CPU inside narrows down the search range but we still have to "guess", so no concrete advice can be given yet.

Try booting the computer up with a Linux Mint live USB, then post the system report > system information found there.
Thank you for replying. Yes I’m going to do that I think and see how it goes.
Jujejo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jujejo »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 am
Jujejo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pmNow with the SSD in and the 3GB works fine, I’m just wondering if you still think that for Linux Mint I should still be getting 4GB instead.

Also is a SSD 128 GB enough? I’m not planning on keeping big files. I just want to at least have something that I don’t have to stress any more about. My using will be basic: surfing internet, YouTube videos, open office… im not into gaming or won’t use any special programs.
I have a travelling laptop, ASUS TP200S, with Linux Mint Cinnamon and it has 2GB of RAM and 30GB of storage. It has a slot for a micro SD card so an additional 30GB has been plugged in.

It isn't the fastest but it does for emails and checking things on the web. Yes, I can also do documents.
The other laptop, Acer TMP259, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD, is a bit faster and bigger.

I have fitted SSDs and Linux Mint to over 50 laptops which turns slow devices into fast easy to use computers. RAM varies from 2GB upwards. A few were Toshiba Tecras and they only have 2GB of RAM.
SSDs vary from 120GB up to 500GB all depending on what has been available.
Wow that’s amazing! Sounds great and gives me hope. I think I’m trying to install tonight as I already have it the USB stick.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Jujejo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:32 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:20 pm In the other thread, I mentioned Sparkylinux LXQT, but I posted the wrong link for 32-bit. It works fine for me with just 2 GB of RAM. Here is the correct link if you care to try it, it's the third one down:
Thank you for your reply. I’m going to have a look at the Linux you and others have suggested. I will probably still first try Mint, just because it seems like it has more support and is more beginner friendly… and see how it goes , regards
It's your choice of course. But, for the record, Sparkylinux is quite user friendly & also has a help forum. You could just try it in a live session to see what you think.

Return to “Beginner Questions”