[SOLVED] Black screen when trying to boot to Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donvakarian
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Black screen when trying to boot to Mint

Post by donvakarian »

Solution: I needed to update the BIOS so that Mint could display when booting from USB.

I am trying to install Linux Mint on my new build. I have fired it up and I can see all of my hardware correctly in the bios. I have tried installing The newest stable version of Mint. When I start booting from the USB and get to the list of options like "Install Mint", "Install Mint (Safe Graphics)", etc. I tried normal and safe graphics. Each time I click run, from here it is nothing but a black screen no matter how long I wait. Next I tried Mint Edge 21.3 and Ubuntu 23.10 to ensure that I had a newer kernel, but the results were the same. I know the USB drive is good because another much older machine successfully boots the drive.

I did open up the GRUB cli on one of the distro menus, that seemed to be working but it had the same result when I tired to boot from USB.
I tried plugging the monitor into the mobo instead of the graphics card in case it was a driver issue causing the black screen.
Accessories seem to lose power after I try to boot as my keyboard and mouse lose their lighting.
My build parts in case they are relevant:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 7700X
Mobo: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX
Hard drive: NVME M2 drive
Graphics Card: Radeon RX7800XT (but I am plugging the monitor directly into the mother board.)

Any advice on how to get my PC to boot from the Linux Mint USB would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by donvakarian on Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Black screen when trying to boot to Mint

Post by scjet45 »

try "nomodeset" when booting.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
donvakarian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donvakarian »

scjet45 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 am try "nomodeset" when booting.
Is that something I simply add to the grub command?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am
scjet45 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 am try "nomodeset" when booting.
Is that something I simply add to the grub command?
It's automatically added if you select "safe graphics" and you said you already tried that.
donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 am CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 7700X
Graphics Card: Radeon RX7800XT (but I am plugging the monitor directly into the mother board.)
Why are you plugging the monitor into the motherboard instead of into the GPU? Does your BIOS/UEFI know you want to use the onboard GPU?

By the way, that hardware needs the newer kernel available in the Edge ISOs.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
donvakarian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donvakarian »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 am
donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 am CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 7700X
Why are you plugging the monitor into the motherboard instead of into the GPU? Does your BIOS/UEFI know you want to use the onboard GPU?

By the way, that hardware needs the newer kernel available in the Edge ISOs.
I did try booting Mint Edge with the exact same result. I tried using the motherboard in case it didn't know how to use the card because of drivers or something, but I could try plugging into the card as well.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pmI did try booting Mint Edge with the exact same result. I tried using the motherboard in case it didn't know how to use the card because of drivers or something, but I could try plugging into the card as well.
I did a search on the forum and found one person with LM21.2 (latest at the time of their post) running with a MSI PRO B650-P WIFI motherboard and the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor and a 6700 XT so I would think we should be able to get Mint to work.

They were running BIOS/UEFI version 1.40 from 03/24/2023, but I see newer ones available and one version does list "Fix some of M2 devices can not be detected." Do you have the most recent BIOS/UEFI installed?
donvakarian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donvakarian »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:42 pm
donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pmI did try booting Mint Edge with the exact same result. I tried using the motherboard in case it didn't know how to use the card because of drivers or something, but I could try plugging into the card as well.
I did a search on the forum and found one person with LM21.2 (latest at the time of their post) running with a MSI PRO B650-P WIFI motherboard and the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor and a 6700 XT so I would think we should be able to get Mint to work.

They were running BIOS/UEFI version 1.40 from 03/24/2023, but I see newer ones available and one version does list "Fix some of M2 devices can not be detected." Do you have the most recent BIOS/UEFI installed?
This was the issue! I needed to update my BIOS. The link you provided was very useful. Thank you so much for the help, I was stuck on this for a while.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

donvakarian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:00 pmThis was the issue! I needed to update my BIOS.
If your issue is resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title and submit the revised post so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
baka_strumpf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Black screen when trying to boot to Mint

Post by baka_strumpf »

Hey, guys. I have a similar problem. I am trying to boot Linux Mint 21.3 from a bootable usb flash drive which I also used to install the OS multiple times in the last 2 months on various laptops. I have just got Dell AIO 5420 with a default Windows 11 Home in it, so I am trying to run Linux Mint on it. I do not want a dual boot, just to run Windows over with Linux Mint and never think about it again. I set up boot options to boot from my usb flash drive, I disabled secure boot, and in the past, with a Dell laptop, this was sufficient. But a desktop Dell with a pre-installed Windows is a trouble. So, I face the black screen described here, and nothing happens after it.
Any ideas? Or, maybe I should start a new question here?
I am not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

baka_strumpf wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pmAny ideas? Or, maybe I should start a new question here?
You have different hardware so yes, you should start a new topic. However I first suggest doing a search on "Dell AIO 5420" to see if others with the same hardware are having issues.
baka_strumpf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by baka_strumpf »

What worked for me was installing Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Edge. Maybe someone else could use this info.
I am not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

baka_strumpf wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:33 pm What worked for me was installing Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Edge. Maybe someone else could use this info.
On a minor note:
In my case, (on my Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6, with latest uefi/bios), I'm booting using Linux Mint 21.3 MATE, -which has no "Edge" release. So a quick fix for MATE user's is to boot and install in safe graphics mode (nomodeset), if need be, followed by a (full) apt update/upgrade and then upgrade kernel to latest "6.5.*", and that also fixed my pesky WiFi issues as well.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6

Return to “Installation & Boot”