Psensor and Xsensor showing abnormally high amdgpu: junction temp while gaming.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Waffleshimo
Level 1
Level 1

Psensor and Xsensor showing abnormally high amdgpu: junction temp while gaming.

Post by Waffleshimo »

This is my first post here and I am new to the linux world as a whole so I probably don't understand a few fundamentals yet, I've been using Mint pretty much like windows with little terminal interaction.

To start with my pc specs are:
Powercolor RX 6650XT Fighter
Ryzen 5 5500 w/ stock cooler
Kingston nvme
Asrock A520M-HDV mobo
Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600w gold rated PSU
Linux Mint 21.3

Kernel version: 6.5.0-26

I have tested both psensor and xsensor after running the 'sudo sensors-detect' command to calibrate the sensors as other users I've seen from a quick google search did.

While at the desktop or just web browsing, my gpu reads to be idling around 50-55c. While firing up and playing Deep Rock Galactic, which is not a very demanding game at all (though I am on a 1440p ultrawide) the 'junction' part of my gpu, which it seems others call the 'hotspot', reaches up to 97 C on both p and x sensor's reading.
Thing is though, the split second I close out of the game it went from around a 94 to a 68 degree reading, I mean a very literal second difference in time for it to jump from 94 to 68 the instant I close the game. Is that even physically possible? Is there something wrong with the thermal calibration of the programs or is there something very wrong with my gpu?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”