NordVPN locks up Internet connection after disconnecting VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tartufo
Level 1
Level 1

NordVPN locks up Internet connection after disconnecting VPN

Post by Tartufo »

Hi
I am using LM21.3 on my Lenovo ThinkPad (and 19.3 on my desktop) and the issue happens all of the time on the fresh 20.3 installation on the laptop and periodically on my desktop. I use NordVPN on both and the same NordPY GUI trigger. I am unable to determine whether the issue is NordVPN or the client app.

The problem is as follows:

I open the VPN using the NordPY app, and it connects fine and works well until I disconnect. Once I have disconnected from the VPN however, I can no longer access the Net unless I reboot the machine. This is disruptive to work flow due to rebooting.

Searching the web, some posts suggest changing the nameserver to 8.8.8.8 in the resolv.conf file (which doesn't work for me), others suggest disabling the kill switch (which has not been enabled by default, and when I do enable it and then disable it afterwards, does not fix the problem). Direct support from NordVPN themselves suggest the same 'fixes'.

So far, the only sure-fire way of fixing this is to reboot but I'd like to find a smarter and less disruptive way of dealing with this.

Any suggestions, please.
TIA
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Re: NordVPN locks up Internet connection after disconnecting VPN

Post by KodiakCanoe »

I'm using NordVPN 3.17.4 on three Linux Mint 21.3 machines and it's working OK, no lockups like what you are experiencing.

I would suspect it's due to NordPY GUI. If this is the one: https://github.com/morpheusthewhite/nordpy it looks like it hasn't been updated in three years. The Nord client has had a lot of changes since then.

If you prefer automation instead of typing out the terminal commands every time, you may be interested in this bash script. It covers all aspects of the NordVPN CLI and is fully customizable. I've been keeping it updated to use with the latest NordVPN client versions. Combined with the "bash-sensors" cinnamon applet it can also put a vpn on/off status icon in the panel, which will launch the script in a new terminal when clicked.

If you need any assitance setting it up just let me know!

https://github.com/ph202107/nordlist
Tartufo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tartufo »

Thanks for the response. Your supposition about the NordPY GUI may well be correct ... although to be fair, this would have been the first I've heard of it, and I cannot think of any particular reason why it would be buggy. But, I'm not a developer so am not qualified to say.

Your script (and screenshots) looks really interesting, and nicely laid out. I'd like some kind of interface, and as I'm using Mate while there is a mate-indicator applet, I don't think that it would work in the same way that your Cinnamon applet appears to.

Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions to allow this script to be used in some kind of panel applet?

I've downloaded the script anyway, although now I have to figure out how to use it since selecting 14 on the main menu and then a city didn't do anything, so I'll have to read through the script itself. If you have any tips to expedite this and make it easier for a non-techie to make it "just work" that would be greatly appreciated :D
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

I assume NordPy makes use of the NordVPN CLI, so it would need to be updated as changes are made to the NordVPN client.

"Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions to allow this script to be used in some kind of panel applet?"

The nordlist script works independently of any applet. The "bash-sensors" cinnamon applet can be installed and configured for use with this script. The panel icon will change color with the connection status, and when the icon is clicked it will open a new terminal to the main menu as seen in the screenshot.

"I'm using Mate"

I just noticed you don't use Mint Cinnamon. I don't use Mate so I don't know if there is an equivalent applet. The "network manager" icon will show a lock when the vpn is connected (on Cinnamon at least), and you could add a launcher to the panel to run the script with a click.

Once the script has been customized to your preferences, generally the procedure is to click the panel icon, hit "1" or any number, enter, and the script will connect to that location, with options to ping the server, show the current server load, and show your external IP address.

"selecting 14 on the main menu and then a city didn't do anything"

I'd be interested to know if you got any error messages? This is definitely unexpected behavior. What version of Linux Mint and what version of NordVPN are you using?

The readme and the script itself have basic instructions, if there's a particular part you have questions about just let me know!
Tartufo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tartufo »

Hi again

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know that the script is independent of the applet. Being lazy, and preferring the visual ease/ convenience of an icon, I was just curious if there was a compatible applet in Mate, because the one I have come across seems oriented more to hardware and system processes, rather than picking up the state changes of a Bash script.

I didn't get any error messages ... just a message that read (something like - am going on memory) 'you are disconnected'. This is on Mint 21.3 and the latest download of NordVPN.

Anyway, as most of these things, this is likely a case of PEBKAC, so I'll keep plugging away at it. Worst case scenario, I could always use the NordPY script, do what I need to do and then reboot for off-line work. It's just that I have some work travel in some rather dubious places coming up, and don't trust hotel and public space wi-fi security.

Thanks for your help/

Return to “Networking”