Do I need a separate scanner driver for Canon MF4890dw

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriscom
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need a separate scanner driver for Canon MF4890dw

Post by Chriscom »

My printing is working great and my Mint 21.3 Cinnamon sees my Canon MF4890dw, but I get a "Failed to scan / error communicating with scanner" message.

I succeeded in getting the printer to work after installing the "UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.90" - and that's much snappier than under Windows 10 or 11. But I don't see a specific scanner driver, and the only mention I see of "scanner" in the summary description of that driver is legalese (one mention).

I see other methods of potentially connecting with the scanner but what I've come across so far are driverless paths and I'd hate to risk undoing the printing function.

Newbie obviously!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Do I need a separate scanner driver for Canon MF4890dw

Post by AZgl1800 »

I used an alternate method of installing the Canon printers in my home.

I dual booted up into Windows, and followed the URL provided in the Canon Owner's guide, it found the printer on my local WiFi and installed everything.

Once that was done, I rebooted into LM21.3 Cinnamon and Mint found the printer immediately.

it scans and prints just fine.

I used NAPS2 to scan the documents.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BillyLinux »

Hello again Chris,
I was expecting a shout from you! I have always had Canon printers of one sort or another over the years; when the current one packs up I will buy another that I know has linux full support.
I also looked around all the usual suspect areas for a scanner driver for your machine and failed. You could try speaking to a Canon techy; they just might have something in development or will suggest another driver which might work.
Some say the technical interface thingy between device and scanner is much less than a printing interface/driver. So with that in mind you can do no real harm by going to the VueScan website and downloading. I have never used it myself but might do so on a gash machine I have if I get time. Apparently, it has its own built-in driver and should just work.
Another thought; I have no idea about the spec of your printer but you might find it can scan to a USB stick, or if you are really lucky to a networked drive somewhere be it Windows?Linux device or NAS. It might even scan to an Apple/Android device and you then nave to do file transfer - all a bit of a mess on but better than nothing perhaps.

EDIT
I won't bore you with ALL the details of the experiment I ran on my old gash machine. However, my notes which now follow may be relevant to your situation - but maybe not.

My gash machine uses exactly same Canon printer drivers as my other machines. CUPS still discovers the printer/scanner, but I installed a logical printer/scanner.(i.e. the Canon drivers). Printing and scanning works fine. Using in-built Document Scanner it detects only the CUPS discovered printer/scanner - not the one I installed. In SoftWare Manager I installed VueScan (can also be done from their website). Again, it only found my CUPS discovered printer/scanner, not my installed one. Sure, it scanned fine but places a watermark - you have to pay money to get a professional non-watermarked version. I suggest you download it, try it and if it works think about whether worth the money - 3 price ranges depending on your needs. I also installed Xsane which also worked no problem and no watermark.

One of the huge problems which many people forget is that scanning/printing on a wireless network is only as good as the network. One day it is fine, other days sporadic and sometimes not at all. If your setup is anything like mine, the input/output request goes to the router, which tries to pass to the printer/scanner, which then communicates back to the router, and onwards to the calling request. All that handshaking can be slow. Scanning/printing via USB cable can be more reliable.

Good Luck
Last edited by BillyLinux on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:14 pm I used NAPS2 to scan the documents.
Another vote for NAPS2, only found it recently. Worked "out of the box" with my new canon lide400.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Chriscom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chriscom »

Thanks for all the great and quick replies gang!

AZ, appreciate the suggestion. At the moment my Linux desktop is pure Linux. During my Red Hat user days long ago I had a dual boot setup so it's always possible, but I'm trying to avoid it. Who knows, maybe NAPS2 will be an option anyway.

Billy, when the current one [Canon] packs up I will buy another that I know has linux full support, same here! VueScan did come up in my search and I'll examine it more closely with your suggestion. My current intention is to do nothing that will screw up my printing. Being able to scan (on my home network) is a luxury good at this point, but I'd like to use Linux to its full capability. I don't think my Canon has flash-drive or USB but... it can email lol.

Xscane added to the list.

I should probably add my current, main working computer is a Windows Laptop, so I could scan using that for now. I'm just trying to get as far away from Windows as possible.

Thanks to all including Andy, I'll report back.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Chriscom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:48 pm VueScan did come up in my search
I was a long time vuescan user, bought my new canon scanner - checked, yes it's supported. Then found out not in the version I had (2017) and I wasn't prepared to shell out for a new licence (£50 - almost as much as the scanner). Installed xsane, works but too complicated for my needs. That's when I found NAPS2 - ideal. The vast majority of my scanning is documents to PDF to reduce the amount of paper filing. A doddle in NAPS2. It's open source but you can donate and I intend to.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Chriscom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chriscom »

Thanks Andy, I'll definitely take a look.
Chriscom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chriscom »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:04 pm ...That's when I found NAPS2 - ideal. The vast majority of my scanning is documents to PDF to reduce the amount of paper filing. A doddle in NAPS2. It's open source but you can donate and I intend to.
Andy, did you ever run into this error message: "selected scanner is busy" ? The install of the recommended package was a breeze (v7.4.2/naps2-7.4.2-linux-x64.deb) , and it found my printer easily, but that's the message I'm getting and there are no other jobs running, it's just me here. Reinstalled its, rebooted desktop, restarted printer, no luck.

System details--new desktop:
Asus ProArt B760-Creator motherboard
Intel i9-13900K CPU
Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5 memory
Two Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 drives

Printer: Canon MF4800 Series
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Sadly for you, no. It "just worked". So no guidance I can offer other than try other scanning packages, e.g. the default document scanner, xsane, or vuescan to see it they give a problem.

If they work, then there is a github page for naps2 where you might find an answer or be able to ask the question:
https://github.com/cyanfish/naps2

I did google on naps2 scanner is busy and came up with a few hits, none terribly helpful but there was this:
https://www.naps2.com/doc/troubleshooting
for checking the logs and it does say make sure the drivers are installed first (I didn't install any drivers, the lide400 just worked).
Chriscom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chriscom »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 am Sadly for you, no. It "just worked". So no guidance I can offer other than try other scanning packages, e.g. the default document scanner, xsane, or vuescan to see it they give a problem.

If they work, then there is a github page for naps2 where you might find an answer or be able to ask the question:
https://github.com/cyanfish/naps2

I did google on naps2 scanner is busy and came up with a few hits, none terribly helpful but there was this:
https://www.naps2.com/doc/troubleshooting
for checking the logs and it does say make sure the drivers are installed first (I didn't install any drivers, the lide400 just worked).
Thanks dude! I'll pursue those leads. Also, I later noticed the support forum on the NAPS2 sit. Much thanks!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”