Not all windows seem to use the same theme style

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Codemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Not all windows seem to use the same theme style

Post by Codemaster »

I installed Brave browser from the Software Manager. I think it was a Flatpak but there was no other version available. It doesn't use the same window theme as the preinstalled apps and looks completely out of place. There are at least 2 other apps I installed that do this but I can't remember which ones now.

It makes the OS feel really cheap and nasty that it can't keep the same theme across all apps.

What is causing this?
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Not all windows seem to use the same theme style

Post by vimes666 »

Afaik brave comes with its own themes. In its settings you can select other themes. The only option to make it fit better in your local theme is to turn on the 'Use system title bar and borders' switch.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2024-05-03 15-59-35.png
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

If a software draws its GUI via Qt *and* it is installed via Flatpak, the theme will fail to apply. Qt-based software are themed in Linux Mint via qt5ct which translates GTK2 themes for Qt-based software. Unfortunately so far qt5ct hasn't ported itself to Flatpak. So within Flatpak ecosystem, Qt-based software can't take on GTK themes. All the marvelous sandboxing~

In other words, you won't get this fixed in any time soon in any GTK-based desktop environment. The fastest solution may be a reinstall of Brave via visiting https://brave.com/linux/ and follow the instruction there.
Codemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Codemaster »

vimes666 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:05 am Afaik brave comes with its own themes. In its settings you can select other themes. The only option to make it fit better in your local theme is to turn on the 'Use system title bar and borders' switch.
Thanks. This resolved it. I never thought to look in the apps settings. When I work out the other apps I've seen it in I'll check out their settings too.

Return to “Cinnamon”