Explain it to me like I'm Five

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
numbersinc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by numbersinc »

I'm so new to this that I found out recently Linux was an OS and not a brand of computer. Youtube videos only make things more complicated, they explain things to me like I already know them when I don't. Is there some book or entry level set of videos I can watch. I wanna learn this stuff from the ground up, and I wanna buy a linux laptop, a basic one at that. please tell me where to start. :mrgreen:
devara
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Explain it to me like I'm Five

Post by devara »

Hello numbersinc, welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
First, both Linux and Windows are Operating System (OS). There are software that does not bound to the machine. So there are not likely you to buy either Windows Laptop or Linux Laptop.

Say, if your laptop is your car, then OSes are "Who drive you to school". You can ask either your father, or sibling, or whoever. They have different driving skill, and you can notice it.

To start with Linux world, you have a good choice to take Linux Mint as your first experience. Many device, even older devices are better, can run Linux out of the box.
Last edited by devara on Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
LMDE 6 with 6.6.13+bpo-amd64 | Lenovo ThinkPad T450 | Intel© Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz × 2 | Intel™ HD Graphics 5500

Hai, I'm just using gnu/linux for my stuff
Jimmy7782
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jimmy7782 »

They don't sell Linux laptops. Its either closed source Apple and Microsoft. Get a Microsoft laptop. I find
HP is very good with Linux but also Acer, Lenovo. Don't get Toshibas, they just have problems. I would recommend
you install 2 distros. For basic and every day stuff install Linux Mint and for learning computers like navigating
command line, pentesting, ethical hacking etc... Get the popular Kali Linux and do a dual boot install. Kali is the
one to learn and they got video lessons for free off youtube or Torrent sites. Its a free education.
You can get a good laptop for 300 and it will run much faster too. However Linux is safer, don't believe its
magic, I been hacked on a Linux distro
devara
Level 4
Level 4

Post by devara »

You need a USB thumb drive, at least 4GB sized to do the installation. Follow this guide.
LMDE 6 with 6.6.13+bpo-amd64 | Lenovo ThinkPad T450 | Intel© Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz × 2 | Intel™ HD Graphics 5500

Hai, I'm just using gnu/linux for my stuff
spamegg
Level 15
Level 15

Post by spamegg »

"What is Linux?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA3vmx0GaO8

"Is Linux Mint better than Windows?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=499jqHWZ-Ts

Some history (which is very important to understand why Linux is the way it is, and how it's very different than Windows / Mac)
"How Linux killed Unix: the Unix wars"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9cus43RMY

"Best Linux distros for switching from Windows"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAz7ZQ8hgk
I wanna learn this stuff from the ground up, and I wanna buy a linux laptop, a basic one at that.
Laptops can have many issues on Linux. Many laptop manufacturers lock you into Windows, you can't even update the BIOS without Windows. So you have to be super careful when buying a laptop. Desktops generally have fewer issues on Linux. "Generic hardware" works the best (no special peripherals or special wifi chips etc.)

Here are Linux laptop sellers who pay special attention to make Linux work well:
https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/
https://starlabs.systems/
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/
https://system76.com/
https://slimbook.com/en/
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

This may help too https://laptopwithlinux.com/linux-laptops/
Another alternative might be to source a laptop with no operating system installed, choose your distro and install it yourself.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html is as good a guide as any I've come across.

You don't say where you are located, I'm guessing it's not the UK, but if you are https://www.novatech.co.uk/ might be worth a look.
KMD2023
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KMD2023 »

Hello,

An option you can try without spending money on a laptop, if you currently have a computer with plenty of free disk space and reasonably powerful, you can use a virtualization program such as VirtualBox (Free and simple) then create a virtual machine using whichever Linux distribution you would like to try out.

This way while learning, you are only spending your time and effort rather than money up front. Later on, when you have become familiar with Linux, you can decide on purchasing a laptop or PC if you wish.

People here have replied to your post with very valuable links to learning resources and companies that build and ship laptops with Linux installed.

Another benefit to using a Virtual Machine first is that you can try different things and not worry about breaking a running system. You just clear the virtual disk and continue.

Welcome to the forum, have fun on your journey, but watch out for some YouTube postings because they can be outdated, or completely wrong.

Cheers,
KMD2023
NW USA
Linux Hobbyist - Made the full switch Mar 2023
- "Backups are your friend, and Timeshift is a friend with benefits!"
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Jimmy7782 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:54 am They don't sell Linux laptops.
Yes, they do. Tuxedo Computers sell only Linux. There's another one that I can't remember, but they too are only Linux.
tLRIpoyTP8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tLRIpoyTP8 »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:14 am[...] Tuxedo Computers sell only Linux. There's another one that I can't remember, but they too are only Linux.
System 76 is also one.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

tLRIpoyTP8 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 am
JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:14 am[...] Tuxedo Computers sell only Linux. There's another one that I can't remember, but they too are only Linux.
System 76 is also one.
While many people like System 76, I've had nothing but problems from them. Tuxedo's computers are good but they are located in Germany so, depending on where you are located, having them shipped to you and having to return them for any warranty issues or other repair could be problematic.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Jimmy7782 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:54 am I would recommend
you install 2 distros. For basic and every day stuff install Linux Mint and for learning computers like navigating
command line, pentesting, ethical hacking etc... Get the popular Kali Linux and do a dual boot install.
Sorry, but I don't think that's good advice for a newcomer. Why not let them get to grips with Mint first? You can learn to use the command line on Mint just fine, and stuff like pentesting and ethical hacking is quite another kettle of fish. Why advise them to run before they can walk?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

Once upon a time, in Teletubbyland, there was a green teletubby named Minty. Minty was the friendliest and funniest teletubby, always ready to help and make everyone laugh.

One day, Minty took Tinky Winky, Laa-Laa, and Po to the Land of Computers. "This is Linux Mint" Minty said, showing a computer screen full of free and open-source tools for learning, creating art, and writing stories. "It's just like me - easy, fun, and friendly!"

The teletubbies were amazed and cheered, "Minty, you're the best!"

From then on, they loved learning and creating in the Land of Computers with their best friend, Minty. The end!

So just install Mint on your computer, use it and have fun :lol:
teletubbie-mint.png
teletubbie-mint.png (56.61 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

axrusar wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:46 pm
Once upon a time, in Teletubbyland, there was a green teletubby named Minty. Minty was the friendliest and funniest teletubby, always ready to help and make everyone laugh.

One day, Minty took Tinky Winky, Laa-Laa, and Po to the Land of Computers. "This is Linux Mint" Minty said, showing a computer screen full of free and open-source tools for learning, creating art, and writing stories. "It's just like me - easy, fun, and friendly!"

From then on, they loved learning and creating in the Land of Computers with their best friend, Minty. The end!

teletubbie-mint.png
🤣🤣🤣
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

teletubbie-mint.png
groan meter.gif
groan meter.gif (47.77 KiB) Viewed 460 times
From a newbies viewpoint, not helpful.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

numbersinc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 am I'm so new to this that I found out recently Linux was an OS and not a brand of computer. Youtube videos only make things more complicated, they explain things to me like I already know them when I don't. Is there some book or entry level set of videos I can watch. I wanna learn this stuff from the ground up, and I wanna buy a linux laptop, a basic one at that. please tell me where to start. :mrgreen:
I empathize with you. Even after years of using computers, including around 4-5 years of Linux Mint, I frequently run into directions that are incomplete, usually because the writer assumes certain steps are ones that everyone already knows. It's enough to drive a person nutz! :roll:

I'm assuming you are coming from Windows. My first advice is to find a computer other than your current daily driver to do your first installation of Mint onto. This way, if things go wrong (and they will; don't worry about it, though), you will still have a computer you can use to go for help on. I received this advice when I first started out and it's still the best advice I've ever received since. You can use an old one you might still have around or find a cheap, used one that still works. Don't worry about brand right now.

Keep in mind, installing Mint onto a computer will wipe out any operating system and data that is already on it. That's why it's best to use a second computer for your first installation of Mint. Also, the computer will need to support 64 bit (pretty much all but the really ancient ones will).

Assuming you are coming from Windows, I recommend using Mint Cinnamon. It will feel the most familiar to you.

I did a quickie search on YouTube and found this tutorial for installing Mint that seems to be complete and detailed; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUI3CMjmMc Just watch all of it first, then go back and start following the directions. You should do OK but, if you hit a snag, come back here and ask us for help. Good luck!
Jeannie

CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Once upon a time, in Teletubbyland, there was a green teletubby named Minty. Minty was the friendliest and funniest teletubby, always ready to help and make everyone laugh.--->snip<---
Aaaaaand now I have to explain to my co-worker why I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes!
numbersinc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by numbersinc »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:29 pm
numbersinc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:12 am I'm so new to this that I found out recently Linux was an OS and not a brand of computer. Youtube videos only make things more complicated, they explain things to me like I already know them when I don't. Is there some book or entry level set of videos I can watch. I wanna learn this stuff from the ground up, and I wanna buy a linux laptop, a basic one at that. please tell me where to start. :mrgreen:
I empathize with you. Even after years of using computers, including around 4-5 years of Linux Mint, I frequently run into directions that are incomplete, usually because the writer assumes certain steps are ones that everyone already knows. It's enough to drive a person nutz! :roll:

I'm assuming you are coming from Windows. My first advice is to find a computer other than your current daily driver to do your first installation of Mint onto. This way, if things go wrong (and they will; don't worry about it, though), you will still have a computer you can use to go for help on. I received this advice when I first started out and it's still the best advice I've ever received since. You can use an old one you might still have around or find a cheap, used one that still works. Don't worry about brand right now.

Keep in mind, installing Mint onto a computer will wipe out any operating system and data that is already on it. That's why it's best to use a second computer for your first installation of Mint. Also, the computer will need to support 64 bit (pretty much all but the really ancient ones will).

Assuming you are coming from Windows, I recommend using Mint Cinnamon. It will feel the most familiar to you.

I did a quickie search on YouTube and found this tutorial for installing Mint that seems to be complete and detailed; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUI3CMjmMc Just watch all of it first, then go back and start following the directions. You should do OK but, if you hit a snag, come back here and ask us for help. Good luck!
Great video! I thought I had to buy a laptop with linux already installed. I guess I can go out and buy a cheap windows laptop and start my linux Journey. I guess my next step would be to learn terminal commands. got a video for that? :mrgreen:
numbersinc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by numbersinc »

thanks all of you
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

numbersinc wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:19 am ...
Great video! I thought I had to buy a laptop with linux already installed. I guess I can go out and buy a cheap windows laptop and start my linux Journey. I guess my next step would be to learn terminal commands. got a video for that? :mrgreen:
There's really no need to learn Terminal commands. When they're necessary, you can look up what you may need or ask here.

I think I speak for many Mint users: we hardly use Terminal commands for everyday use of Mint.

Think of it this way, did you need to learn Command Prompt commands in Windows?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

JerryF wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:23 am
numbersinc wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:19 am ...
There's really no need to learn Terminal commands. When they're necessary, you can look up what you may need or ask here.

I think I speak for many Mint users: we hardly use Terminal commands for everyday use of Mint.

Think of it this way, did you need to learn Command Prompt commands in Windows?
Jerry nailed it. I can remember only one terminal command; for the few I do use occasionally, I have to refer to a cheat sheet or similar.

Spend your time getting familiar with using Mint before worrying about terminal commands unless the need happens to come up.
Jeannie

Return to “Beginner Questions”