Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
omegaweapon
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Missing libdl.so.2 Error during installation

Post by omegaweapon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi guys,
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed before - I did do some searching and found nothing, and decided to create a post. Basically my problem is in installing the JEOL NMR software on Linux Mint 8 Helena (GNOME). The installation file can be downloaded at http://nmrsupport.jeol.com/, granted you have registered. Officially, the company does not support all versions of Linux, just Red Hat and SUSE. However, I can't imagine that the software shouldn't work on Mint. The downloaded file is in a .bin format, and after chmod -ing it to execute, and executing the file, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
nawk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/install.dir.12363/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I've tried googling for the 'libc.so.6', but couldn't find much information on it - first off being somewhat of a Linux newbie, I'm still trying to find my way around. I figure I'm missing a package - just what package I need to install is the question. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by omegaweapon on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problem installing NMR software: Missing libdl.so.2 Erro

Post by remoulder » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

Try

apt install libc6-i686
from http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/libc6-i686 list of files.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

omegaweapon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by omegaweapon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

I've tried the command you suggested, however when I do so, the installer states that I already have the latest version. When I downloaded the file directly from the website, the installer gives me the following error:

$ sudo dpkg -i libc6-i686_2.10.1-0ubuntu15_i386.deb 
dpkg: warning: downgrading libc6-i686 from 2.10.1-0ubuntu16 to 2.10.1-0ubuntu15.
dpkg: regarding libc6-i686_2.10.1-0ubuntu15_i386.deb containing libc6-i686, pre-dependency problem:
 libc6-i686 pre-depends on libc6 (= 2.10.1-0ubuntu15)
  libc6 is installed, but is version 2.10.1-0ubuntu16.
dpkg: error processing libc6-i686_2.10.1-0ubuntu15_i386.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing libc6-i686
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libc6-i686_2.10.1-0ubuntu15_i386.deb
I've read a little bit more on the JEOL webpage, and apparently there is a similar problem for Red Hat 3 that can be apparently solved by downloading gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-34.1.i386.rpm, however my attempt at installing this also failed (or at least it did not solve the problem).
Q30. Redhat Enterprise V3.0 missing libdb.so.2 library(10)

Answer: Redhat Enterprise V3.0 installations done by the user might be missing the /usr/lib/libdb.so.2 library file. This prevents Delta from starting. This file is part of the GNOME desktop environment, typically we use the KDE environment. To fix this problem the user needs to install the GNOME desktop environment to obtain the gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-34.1.i386.rpm package with the libdb library file or if they have a subscription service the compat-db-4.0.14-5.1.i386.rpm from the RHN web site.
Is there a similar .deb package in Mint? I'm just wondering if the .rpm was not compatible with the system (or something similar)
Last edited by omegaweapon on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegaweapon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by omegaweapon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:17 am

Got the answer! (But don't really know why it works)

In order to install the software, I followed these instructions:
1. Download the Linux Version of the JEOL NMR Software (I specified "other" under the operating system choice)
2. Enter the following lines of code in the terminal

cp DeltaInstaller_v4.3.6_Linux.bin DeltaInstaller_v4.3.6_Linux.bin.bak
cat DeltaInstaller_v4.3.6_Linux.bin.bak | sed "s/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/#xport LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/" > DeltaInstaller_v4.3.6_Linux.bin
sudo sh DeltaInstaller_v4.3.6_Linux.bin 
3. Change Desktop Effects to "none" - the screen looks really buggy if you don't
4. Run the program by issuing the command in the terminal

/usr/delta/bin/delta
So far I've just installed the software - I haven't tried any Data Processing yet - but I don't foresee any problems as of yet. Credit for this solution goes to nikostsoureas at http://nmrsupport.jeol.com/Forums/tabid ... fault.aspx

Return to “Software & Applications”