Beta-testers needed for mintUpdate 1.1

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Beta-testers needed for mintUpdate 1.1

Post by clem » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi,

mintUpdate 1.1 is ready and you can download it from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/dar ... 1_i386.deb

It should be compatible with Celena and Cassandra.

After you've installed this package, restart your X server by pressing CRTL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

The basic features of mintUpdate are present in version 1.1. More features are planned before we include it in Daryna (using threads to make the GUI more responsive, possibility to make the systray icon blink, sort by colum in the table, etc..).

Note to testers: I found some strange behaviour on my development machine but could not reproduce them on my test computer.... as there are only a few updates available and I'm starting to run out I can't test this app as much as I would like and I'm hoping the community will give me a lot of feedback on this.

Thanks in advance to all the people who will test this tool. As you know this will be the main new feature in Daryna and as you can imagine we need to make it as stable as possible.

Thank you
Clem.
Last edited by clem on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Wow, that was fast! Nice work.

Let's say, though, hypothetically speaking, that someone has Update Manager and Update Notifier already installed. Can mintUpdate run along side it - just to see the differences between the UM/UN and mintUpdate, simultaneously - or do UM and UN need to be removed first? I think it would be interesting to compare/contrast, but I'm not married to the idea.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:57 pm

Yes, it is possible... make sure not to press the refresh/install buttons on each at the same time though :)

Clem

Exakun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exakun » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:32 pm

I'd be glad to help you out with this. I'll install it first chance I get.
I'm exaxxion4096 on IRC. I'll try to help everyone out whenever I'm on :)

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:21 pm

I have this installed on my Xubuntu Gutsy Tribe 5 install, that is modified to have everything Celena XFCE CE was going to have.

MintUpdate is working fine, but it still lists updates to things I have locked in Synaptic not to update.

Also I would like a way to launch it so I can check for updates.
There are always updates for Gutsy and most of the time the Update manager didn't show them until I clicked refresh.
I don't know if this will be the same with mintUpdate, but would like this added.

Great work so far. :)

MikesHeadRoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikesHeadRoom » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Installed and worked perfectly on my Gateway MX6453 with Celena installed. :D

However, due to the ATI 200m graphics in my notebook, I had previously downgraded Beryl to version 0.2.0. I had to unselect all 0.2.1 packages in order to not break Beryl. Most people who can go through the process of making Beryl work with the 200m would know better, but perhaps you could add a note to the warnings section reflecting that.

Thanks for all the great work!

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

also available for kde?

Post by dracorX » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:32 am

then I'll test...

zachalekos
Level 1
Level 1

mintupdate

Post by zachalekos » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:32 am

testing... looks really good.

thebrix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Beta-testers needed for mintUpdate 1.1

Post by thebrix » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:35 am

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:39 am

MikesHeadRoom: Can you tell me the exact new version as it appears in mintUpdate for these beryl 2.0.1 packages?

I'll make these packages level5 and give them the following warning: Break 3d effects on some graphics cards (example: ATI 200m).

Merlwiz: it basically uses apt-get update and wajig toupgrade, so it's all APT underneath... maybe synaptic is only locking for itself..? As for the refresh.. there's a known problem there. When you log in, mintUpdate is started with your own permissions... and it can't perform an update... when you click the systray it asks for a password and restarts itself in sudo mode and from there on it should refresh fine. Right now mintUpdate tries to refresh.. and if it fails, it gives up... (thinking, ah well I'm not root)... in version 1.2 it will try to all different steps involved in the refresh independantly (some require to be root, some don't.. and at the moment the ones that don't are not run in user mode because the first steps make it give up...). I'm not sure this is clear.. :) It's clear enough in my mind anyway and I'll improve that in future versions.

Clem

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:51 am

2. It is currently leaving rules.x files in ~ when killed unexpectedly.
Yes. It's basically run in two modes:

- user mode when you log in.
- root mode when you click the system tray icon (that's why it disappears and reappears and gksu asks for a password).

In both modes, it downloads the rule file and then moves it to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp. This can fail in user mode for permissions reason and what it should do in the future is be smarter. In user mode it should use ~/.linuxmint/mintUpdate and write there..
3. The interaction with Synaptic is distinctly uneasy; as far as I can tell Synaptic on launch “takes over” and mintUpdate freezes.
mintUpdate checks for APT processes and won't refresh if any of them is running.
4. More warnings are needed when mintUpdate is doing something lengthy - the window goes blank and appears to have failed, particularly when a repository is proving slow to respond. According to the Gnome HIG a status bar is better here than a popup:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup ... gress.html

(Could, for example, the output from apt update be diverted into the progress bar?)
Yes, this is planned. It's just a matter of doing the work in a different thread so that the GUI doesn't freeze in the meantime. Once this is done the statusbar is trivial to implement.

I just wanted to focus on the main features and get feedback on this before giving it more polishing.
5. Through running via the command line I note that there is a lot of redundant (re-)reading of the package list; for example, there is a re-read every time mintUpdate is started and, on selecting updates then cancelling at the last minute, there is a re-read. Fixing this would reduce, possibly remove, the need for 3.
I'll look into that. I fI can get a return code from synaptic I might be able not to refresh in certain cases..
6. The kernel updates should go to priority 5 and the warning should be more explicit (e.g. “May damage your system. In particular, if you have used envy to install nVidia or ATI proprietary drivers, do not install unless you understand how those drivers work”).
You're right. I'll change that.
7. libdbus-1-3 and dbus-utils should presumably have the same priority as dbus (4 rather than 3).
Right again.
8. Again, there should be a warning for dbus along the lines of “Crucial to Linux components working with one another. Do not install unless you are experiencing a problem which the upgrade is described as fixing”.
Thanks for that.

Clem

alexander
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alexander » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:35 am

Not a massive thing however I thought I would bring it up anyway.

I imagine it's due to using a non-default icon theme :(
Another thing, after opening mintupdate from the system tray it doesn't return to the system tray if you close with the cross however does if you click 'close'?

Apart from that, mintUpload looks slick as!
Very impressive. I was skeptical at first however after having a look I am most impressed.
Brilliant work Clem!
Last edited by alexander on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebrix
Level 1
Level 1

feisty-backports?

Post by thebrix » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:15 am

No more issues so far, but a discovery.

Should feisty-backports be added to the list of repositories whose upgrades are examined for inclusion in mint-update?

I ask because there seem to be useful things in there which the user will see - most specifically, amarok 1.4.7 (which has worthwhile improvements and bug fixes over 1.4.5, the version both in feisty [core] and medibuntu).

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 pm

alexander: the icon is the default distributor-logo icon from your current theme. If you use an Ubuntu theme it will show ubuntu, if you use a fedora theme it will show fedora and so on... :) I suppose we could force mint tools to use our logo instead of taking it from the theme. The fact that mintUpdate closes when you close the window is a bug... it should just hide and stay in the tray, well done for finding that one.

thebrix: whatever repository you have in your sources.list will be used by mintupdate to trigger updates. The backports repository is not recommended but if you enable it, mintUpdate will use it as well.

Clem

Jose
Level 1
Level 1

A posible bug

Post by Jose » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Clem,

I was testing mintUpdate (running Celena) and I found the following possibly bug:
I installed it as you said.
Then I open mintupdate, (it took a time (10 secs), during that time the icon disappeared from the tray).
Then the window appeared and I could find 89 applications to be "updated" .
I did not update any, and I close it with "close button" an the application went back to the tray.
So far almost everything good.
However 20 minutes after, I launched Synaptic to look for some software. And I decided to remove the GIMP. Synaptic removed with out any problem. At that moment I recalled that the GIMP was one of the applications that mintUpdate was offering an "update ". So I wondered...
So I opened mintUpdate, this time was very fast (almost instantaneously) I what I found was that the GIMP was still being there to be updated.
So I guess that mintUpdate did not actualized the database information.

I rebooted the laptop, and then mintupdate realized about the change and now does not offer the gimp to be updated.

Sorry for the long email, but I wanted to explained the bug well.

Thanks for everything
Jose
PS: I think that it will be nice to have mintUpdate as an entry in Control Center
Last edited by Jose on Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A posible bug

Post by merlwiz79 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Jose wrote:However 20 minutes after, I launched Synaptic to look for some software. And I decided to remove the GIMP. Synaptic removed with out any problem. At that moment I recalled that the GIMP was one of the applications that mintUpdate was offering an "update ". So I wondered...
So I opened mintUpdate, this time was very fast (almost instantaneously) I what I found was that the GIMP was still being there to be updated.

I rebooted the laptop, and then mintupdate realized about the change and now does not offer the gimp to be updated.
You should only need to use refresh to update the list of updates.

Jose
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A posible bug

Post by Jose » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:09 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:
Jose wrote:However 20 minutes after, I launched Synaptic to look for some software. And I decided to remove the GIMP. Synaptic removed with out any problem. At that moment I recalled that the GIMP was one of the applications that mintUpdate was offering an "update ". So I wondered...

You should only need to use refresh to update the list of updates.
I understand, but don't you think that mintUpdate should detect that the database was changed, with out user intervention, every time you click in the tray icon.

Thanks
Jose

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Yes, refresh is just what mintUpdate calls:

- download the rules from linuxmint.com (wget)
- apt-get update
- wajig toupgrade

It needs to be done when gnome starts to show the number of updates in the systray. Then when you click the systray the first time (because only root can actually apt-get update and so get an up-to-date list) just before the GUI is shown and after each time you install updates (for them and their dependencies to disappear mostly) or each time you click the refresh button (for obvious reasons :)).

Clem

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:14 pm

Jose: That would require a daemon or some scheduled refreshes... it's possible, I just need to find a way for it not to be to resource-hungry and not to penalize the user...

Clem

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:27 pm

my system is up to date (87 updates)! Everything worked perfect here from install of mintupdate to updating my system.
good job Clem, thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”