how to use mouse and windows to find process name and ID?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hyp0xic
Level 1
Level 1

how to use mouse and windows to find process name and ID?

Post by hyp0xic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:55 pm

So far searching online linux and other mint and KDE specific resources have yet to yield any help, so maybe y'all can tell me how do you find out what a process name/PID is, using only the mouse and clicking on a window or dialog (like when using xkill)?

Xkill allows you to run the command and then get the skull and crossbones mouse cursor which then allows you to kill any process that has a window displayed just by clicking on it. Process Monitor/Explorer by Sysinternals had a similar feature (for MS Windows) but allowed you to drag a 'target' to any window or dialog and then would show you in the process list what was responsible for it, and then you could dig deeper to find parent processes or perform other actions besides just killing it.

So is there a linux|debian|ubuntu|KDE tool that does similar, w/o having to also kill the clicked process?

Thanks!

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to use mouse and windows to find process name and ID

Post by dequire » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:00 am

hyp0xic wrote:So far searching online linux and other mint and KDE specific resources have yet to yield any help, so maybe y'all can tell me how do you find out what a process name/PID is, using only the mouse and clicking on a window or dialog (like when using xkill)?

Xkill allows you to run the command and then get the skull and crossbones mouse cursor which then allows you to kill any process that has a window displayed just by clicking on it. Process Monitor/Explorer by Sysinternals had a similar feature (for MS Windows) but allowed you to drag a 'target' to any window or dialog and then would show you in the process list what was responsible for it, and then you could dig deeper to find parent processes or perform other actions besides just killing it.

So is there a linux|debian|ubuntu|KDE tool that does similar, w/o having to also kill the clicked process?

Thanks!
Hello. You can run System Monitor and by mousing over a process, get the PID and other relevant info (parent processes, etc.). You can choose to kill it from there or not but it does give you the information you are looking for. It's a great app!
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

hyp0xic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hyp0xic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:49 am

thanks for the reply dequire! however i already know how to use the sysmon, but that doesn't help me know which process i need to look up in sysmon unless i already know what it is.

so the scenario is: some random window or dialog pops up, and i want to know what it is or what launched it. i know i can run xkill and just click on it without needing to know what the process or PID is. so i can tell via a postmortem (diffing before and after process list) but ideally there is a way to tell what is what without having to kill things.

surely this is possible?

I_can_see_the_light
Level 3
Level 3

Post by I_can_see_the_light » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 am

To find out the process name you can open a terminal window and enter:

Code: Select all

xprop | grep CLASS
The mouse cursor will change to a crosshair and when you click on a window the output will be shown in the terminal.
To find out the process ID you can just enter PID instead of CLASS. (not working for Chromium Browser)

Another way is to press <ALT>+<F3> and choose Advanced -> Special window settings change to the tab Windows and there you will find a button called Detect window properties
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D (triple booting Ubuntu, CrunchBang & Win 7)

----------
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" - R.I.P. Husse

hypoxic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hypoxic » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:04 pm

awesome, that's exactly what i was looking for, thanks I_can_see_the_light!

I_can_see_the_light
Level 3
Level 3

Post by I_can_see_the_light » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

You're welcome :)
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D (triple booting Ubuntu, CrunchBang & Win 7)

----------
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" - R.I.P. Husse

Return to “KDE”