Docks in XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Locked
colyn

Docks in XFCE

Post by colyn »

I will be switching from KDE to XFCE this weekend and was wondering which dock works best with XFCE. I am currently using Daisy on KDE. I understand Docky is good.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I have used both Docky and AWN (Avant Window Navigator) in Xfce and had few problems with either. The only real problem was the race situation at boot where the dock starts before the window compositor. If this is a problem a short delay can be added to the dock start command to allow the compositor to stabilize.
Robin

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by Robin »

I'm afraid I don't see the point of using a dock instead of the way-cool Xfce panel, and I don't think I understand the difference between a dock and a panel either. Both have customizable application launchers and applets, both serve the same function. From some screenshots I've seen the docks are prettier than most panels, but other than that, I'm curious to know what advantages does a dock have over the wonderful Xfce panels? I'm not inclined to change anything on a perfectly good working system unless I have some compelling reason to do so...

-R
mikhou

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by mikhou »

I agree with Robin. In Debian Testing XFCE, I just use an open task list in the top panel with a notification area at the right hand side. I then use a bottom panel and make it autohide, and then I've got a Dockbar (unless I am missing some functionality of a dockbar that I don't know about.)

mikhou
colyn

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by colyn »

Robin wrote:I'm afraid I don't see the point of using a dock instead of the way-cool Xfce panel, and I don't think I understand the difference between a dock and a panel either.
My purpose for using a dock is to launch applications so I don't have to clutter up my desktop with icons. I still use the panel but putting icons on the panel makes it harder to see them with my aging eyes
Robin wrote:Both have customizable application launchers and applets, both serve the same function.
i agree but as stated above my eyes are not what they used to be..
Robin wrote:From some screenshots I've seen the docks are prettier than most panels, but other than that, I'm curious to know what advantages does a dock have over the wonderful Xfce panels? I'm not inclined to change anything on a perfectly good working system unless I have some compelling reason to do so...

-R
For many it boils down to what they like best. For others...convenience..
bobcollard

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by bobcollard »

Panels can be widened in height and this will in turn add to the size of your icons and fonts. Since most docks are put on the bottom you can either run your panel on top or like most people used to Windows (shudder) run it on the bottom. Either docks or panels can be on all four edges and both can be hidden. I don't use Compiz, so things are not so glitzy. Experiment, you can always uninstall what you don't like.
colyn

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by colyn »

bobcollard wrote:Panels can be widened in height and this will in turn add to the size of your icons and fonts.
I am aware that panels can be widened but it makes for an unattractive desktop and looks out of place.
bobcollard wrote: Since most docks are put on the bottom you can either run your panel on top or like most people used to Windows (shudder) run it on the bottom. Either docks or panels can be on all four edges and both can be hidden. I don't use Compiz, so things are not so glitzy. Experiment, you can always uninstall what you don't like.
My current KDE desktop has Daisy at the bottom and the panel at the top as seen here. This will be the same setup I will be using in XFCE.

Image
bobcollard

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by bobcollard »

You won't be able to have a "Clear or translucent" Panel and Daisy looks a lot like Cairo-Dock. My panel is hidden until I run my mouse up to it.
colyn

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by colyn »

bobcollard wrote:You won't be able to have a "Clear or translucent" Panel and Daisy looks a lot like Cairo-Dock. My panel is hidden until I run my mouse up to it.
It was a waste of time. The same Gnome/Intel 8xxx graphics card bug affects XFCE too. So it's back to KDE..
Robin

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by Robin »

Hi,

I appreciate your taking the time to explain, Colyn. But I still just don't get it. The Xfce panel(s) can be made as large or small as you like, so "aging eyes" shouldn't be an issue. I never use icons on my desktop. It's completely icon-free. The only icons I have are the launchers in my panel. I've got a screenshot attached, and just for fun I've made my panel much bigger than I usually do just to demonstrate. Note the total absence of desktop icons! Note the highly visible launchers and applets!

I have two panels. One is invisible unless I mouse over it (it's just my taskbar). The other is my "launchers and applets" panel - the exact same thing as a dock?

Oh well... I think the Xfce panels are so cool and customizable (and Xfce has it's own lightweight compositor to let me make the panels opaque or shadowy and whatever), I can't imagine why anyone would think to use a dock on an Xfce desktop anyway... since a main reason for using Xfce is to conserve system resources.

But, as you say, personal preference. It's Linux! Make it whatever you want it to be! That's the beauty and versatility of Linux.

-Robin
colyn

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by colyn »

Robin wrote:Hi,

I appreciate your taking the time to explain, Colyn. But I still just don't get it. The Xfce panel(s) can be made as large or small as you like, so "aging eyes" shouldn't be an issue.
The panel is not as customizable as docks. I've tried both ways and prefer the dock
Robin wrote: I never use icons on my desktop. It's completely icon-free. The only icons I have are the launchers in my panel. I've got a screenshot attached, and just for fun I've made my panel much bigger than I usually do just to demonstrate. Note the total absence of desktop icons! Note the highly visible launchers and applets!
Nor do I. I never liked the idea of desktop icons.....too Windoze...
Robin wrote:Oh well... I think the Xfce panels are so cool and customizable (and Xfce has it's own lightweight compositor to let me make the panels opaque or shadowy and whatever), I can't imagine why anyone would think to use a dock on an Xfce desktop anyway... since a main reason for using Xfce is to conserve system resources.

But, as you say, personal preference. It's Linux! Make it whatever you want it to be! That's the beauty and versatility of Linux.

-Robin
It doesn't matter now since the known Gnome/Intel 8xxx graphics chipset bug also affects XFCE..
ufugu
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by ufugu »

As a Mac user for decades and a OSX user since the first beta I gotta say: Docks are different from panels in a functional way, NOT just in appearance.

Both can serve as launchers, that's a given. But docks (Mac, Docky, Awn) focus on serving as application managers. Panel widgets tend to work as window managers.

It seems like a subtle distinction but if you switch between Mac and Windows a lot, you know it well. It is a primary concept in how the interfaces are different (it's also reflected by having a universal menu bar in the Mac OS vs. menus in each window, for example) and you can see it if you've ever helped a "switcher". They get confused by it because even though it seems like a small difference, it is at the core of how you interface with the machine.

It is nice to have the choice in Linux and Xfce!
jesica

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by jesica »

I also prefer the Dock
iluii

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by iluii »

for me Docky is too simple, and Cair-dock is highly customizable but a pain on boot evene if you force open-gl, never seemed to boot quite right, AWN is less customizable than Cairo but more than docky and has given me no problems so it is a good happy medium, sticking to AWN my self
canci

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by canci »

There's also adeskbar, but I don't know if it's in the repos. Also works without compositing.

http://www.ad-comp.be/?category/ADesk-Bar
Kreuger

Re: Docks in XFCE

Post by Kreuger »

I use wbar on my desktop because I dont need compiz to use it. You can see an example on my desktop here
Locked

Return to “Xfce”