How to downgrade a package ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
marX
Level 1
Level 1

How to downgrade a package ?

Post by marX » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 am

I need to test a gfx driver for xorg 7.1 which crashed the xorg 7.5 I had. So I need xorg 7.1 to test it and if it works, lock the xorg !

What I don't know is...

1. How to downgrade a package
2. Dealing with dependecies manually
3. Backing up a package

So, please help !
Thanks in advance !!

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to downgrade a package ?

Post by Roken » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:25 am

For many things, you can check if a "downgrade" is available by highlighting in synaptic, going to the "Package" menu and choosing "Force Version". For others you will either have to compile yourself, or find a .deb package of the version that you want. If you find a deb, then dpkg -i packagename.deb in a terminal will install and should take care of dependancies.

However, xorg can be more of a problem (as I recently found out to my cost), and to be honest you probably don't want to downgrade xorg since it's easy to render your system unusable by doing so. A better option in your case may be to post details of the problem with the gfx driver and see if someone can help fix it.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

Return to “Newbie Questions”