How to disable password prompts?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kaitlynh1988
Level 1
Level 1

How to disable password prompts?

Post by kaitlynh1988 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi,

I am using Linux for the first time today and I don't know any advanced functions. I was wondering if there was a way to stop being asked to enter my password? I'm asked when I turn on the computer, after a screen saver, and before installing a program. Since my computer is old and I don't have it in a public place I'm not worried about password protection. I will probably need step by step instructions since I've never used anything other then windows before now, I hope that is ok?

Thank you,

Kate

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to disable password prompts?

Post by colyn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:16 pm

If the computer will be connected to the net you need password protection. Otherwise your information can be stolen since no password protection is in place. In addition rootkits will be easy to install by an outside source..

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:16 pm

You can enable auto login so that you don't need a password to log in. Go to the Administration menu/Login screen and you can set up an auto login for a user.

As for passwords when performing administrative tasks, you can't disable those, though most of the time you won't be doing this (only when installing programs and updates for now). You do very quickly get used to entering your password for such things, and it's one of the reasons that Linux is more secure than Windows and considerably less vulnerable to malware.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 pm

kaitlynh1988 wrote:...I'm asked when I turn on the computer
menu > control center > ( System ) login screen:
check "log in as ... automatically"
after a screen saver
menu > control center > screensaver:
uncheck "Lock screen when screensaver is active"

Oskar

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Once you have your system set up the way you want it, you'll find you rarely need to use the password. The only times you'll need to is for updates and for the occasional new app that you'll want to try out. I also found it irksome at the start but I quickly (like in a few days) got over it and now I reckon I spend much less time entering the password than I used to spend running virus checkers, malware checkers and Spybot under Windows; and thats gotta be a bonus.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

kaitlynh1988
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaitlynh1988 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks everyone :)

nicci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nicci » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Disabling password authentication every time is an iffy thing. For novice users I highly discourage such things. Also it is a very bad thing to run as root. Most linux desktop distributions make this difficult to do, but, its not impossible.

For most desktop users once a system is set up and tuned the need to disable these prompt is fairly minimal. Maybe a prompt daily for a password when doing updates. If you're a developer this becomes more of issue where different packages are loaded, etc. This becomes very dependent on user preferences and skill.

With Windows UAC may be disabled (Vista maked a lot of gripes, Windows 7 is pretty cool about it, Windows 8 makes it much harder). Windows is inherently much less secure because of the fact that most users run as administrative users in the first place, and, there are some architectural differences that make linux a little more secure out of the box.

All of this said, however, you may want to disable password prompting. Please be careful. If you break something, remember that you own (and are responsible for) all the pieces left over.

Disabling sudo and gksudo prompting, is a matter of adding this line:

Code: Select all

Defaults	!authenticate
to the sudoers file. This should be done, at a terminal prompt, with "sudo visudo".

For more information on the /etc/sudoers file please read Marius Ducea's nice article: http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/18/linux-t ... -nopasswd/

And for more information on PAM (of which sudo is part) IBM has a good article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux ... sitelnxw9d
Linux Mint Sonya Windows 10 - Linux User/Hacker since 1992. Unix User/Hacker since 1984. I have three Pi devices running Raspbian, a CentOS based and Ubuntu VPS machines, too. (Also got hubby to put Mint on his laptop!)
Linux Counter #414322

humb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by humb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for the web page about disabling passwords. However, I firmly believe developers should make the use of passwords optional instead of mandatory. Here's why:

1) In my case only I touch my computer. I see no need to keep entering passwords for every little thing such as [for example] making a configuration change or installing/uninstalling software. Under absolutely no circumstances will I ever have multiple accounts on any computer I own, not even with reduced priveleges. Multiple accounts = multiple configurations -- too much hassle.

2) Could my system be hacked from outside my home? Possibly. Then again, I could also be hit by a meteor when I venture outside. Of course it's possible! I've been using Windows forever with all "protection" disabled, and so far no boggie man has shown his face. In fact, I've had far worse problems with security measures than with whatever it is they're trying to protect me from. Naturally this isn't just with any Linux-based OS.

3) How does entering a password protect me from a mistake I make that wrecks my configuration? Since Linux asks for a password for just about everything, I for one will enter the password prompt as soon as I see it without even caring why it's asking. After all, as I see it, the only reason it's there is because some developers are simply too set in their ways and somehow believe that making paswwords mandatory will make the OS impervious to just about anything.

4) The worst of all: Linux does not require passwords where it should, nor is there any way to impose password protection on some very important things. Just the other day I went to open a file and the first thing I saw was a long list of files I opened before, including some that are extremely private. For this there is no protection of any kind, anyone can sit here and see all I've done and read my private stuff, and I can't protect it. All it allowed me to do is delete a file called 'recently-used.xbel', but the problem is that every time you do something you have to stop and deep deleting it. You can't tell the OS not to write to it.

Bottom line: make passwords optional not mandatory! As it stands right now they don't protect me at all - I see it, I enter it, no exceptions - end of discussion!

humb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by humb » Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 am

After researching the topic a little, I found out how to eliminate this password scourge by simply running the whole thing as root. For those of you who are interested in doing it too, these are the steps I followed:

Open terminal and type "sudo passwd root". It will prompt you for a password for the root account. Enter one. After that, simply go to "Preferences" and "Login Windows" and there, simply click where it says to premit admininstrator login (this is disabled by default). Then log out and log back in as "root" with the root password you chose. It's NEVER bother you for a password again unless you reboot or log off. This reduces the frequency of entering the password from 100,000 times to just once. I might add that, unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to type "sudo" again. I've typed that word trillions of times.

Despite the dire warnings of something horrible that will happen to my system, no problem so far. If it happens, so what? Reformat and start again, or make a full backup and restore. These warnings remind me of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster - plenty of hype but in the end, nothing.

Just one question. For some reason when running as root, the OS doesn't see my sound setup. Any ideas why not or how to fix it? Everything else works.

MAUL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MAUL » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:55 pm

I would like to ask about password key ring when starting chromium browser in linux mint.
Is it really needed?
I have never set one. I always just click cancel.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:48 am

Hello, MAUL! Can you please make your own topic instead of piggybacking on an old one? A new question deserves a new topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

raleighman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by raleighman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:26 am

kaitlynh1988 wrote:Hi,

I am using Linux for the first time today and I don't know any advanced functions. I was wondering if there was a way to stop being asked to enter my password? I'm asked when I turn on the computer, after a screen saver, and before installing a program. Since my computer is old and I don't have it in a public place I'm not worried about password protection. I will probably need step by step instructions since I've never used anything other then windows before now, I hope that is ok?

Thank you,

Kate
I would be very careful in using this.

I only use it in bash scripts.

echo password | sudo -S cp -u -f bookmarks.zip /media/grandpa/MAXTOR_SDB1/Linux_Files 
Linux nemo is a file manager with root access.
Lot's less prompts for passwords.

Most linux distros err on the very cautious side.

Not ever using passwords is like adminstrator mode in Windows.

It's a short distance away from getting malware etc.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:51 am

raleighman wrote:
kaitlynh1988 wrote:Hi,

I am using Linux for the first time today (...)
I would be very careful in using this.
Raleighman, you are responding to an ancient thread and the poster will probably not read your (worthwhile) comments.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

humb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by humb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 pm

I just installed Sonya noticed that on the "Login Window" setting, the "login as root" option has been removed. It was there on the previous version. I did some digging and found a way to PERMANENTLY eradicate the hated password prompt forever. Here are the steps:

1) Open the terminal and type "sudo passwd root" (sans quotes), then enter a password. One number or letter will do fine, no need to enter a 30-digit, unmemorizable password as the condescenders would lead you to believe.

2) Type "sudo -i" to get you into root, at least only into that terminal windows

3) If you don't have gedit, then type "apt-get-install gedit" and wait for it to download ("sudo" no longer necessary). Now type this gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. When you bring up that file, make these changes:
a) autologin-root=true
b) autologin-user=root (remove your username and insert root)
c)allow-guest-false

4) Save the file and reboot. BTW, this works for Ubuntu as well as Mint.

Done! No password prompt EVER, not even when boot up! Not only that, but if you attempt to edit or delete a file, you will never get this "you don't have permission" garbage! I even went as far as to remove username and even the /home directory - /root is now home. You might get some error message when booting up. Simply click OK to dismiss it and away you go! Better that than having to constantly enter a password. Also, you no longer have to type "sudo" for just about anything like you used to.

For you condencenders out there: I don't want to hear these crappy (correct expletive deleted by server) warnings about that the WORLD WILL END if we do this sort of thing. I have been entering the password blindly REGARDLESS OF WHY IT ASKS FOR IT for years and so far NOTHING bad has happened. So much for your intimidation.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

humb wrote: 4) The worst of all: Linux does not require passwords where it should, nor is there any way to impose password protection on some very important things. Just the other day I went to open a file and the first thing I saw was a long list of files I opened before, including some that are extremely private. For this there is no protection of any kind, anyone can sit here and see all I've done and read my private stuff, and I can't protect it. All it allowed me to do is delete a file called 'recently-used.xbel', but the problem is that every time you do something you have to stop and deep deleting it. You can't tell the OS not to write to it.

Bottom line: make passwords optional not mandatory! As it stands right now they don't protect me at all - I see it, I enter it, no exceptions - end of discussion!
You can disable recent files quite easily in Cinnamon and Mate.

rm ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
touch ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
sudo chattr +i ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

nicci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nicci » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm

It's not condescension. Running everything as EUID 0 is a bad idea. You may blindly enter your 30 character password (there is no such requirement by the way) and have nothing bad happen. Some applications refuse to run with EUID 0, but more importantly, unless you're one of the very few people that walk the face of this earth never making a single mistake, mistakes do happen, and when they happen as root, they are very difficult to fix.

Think of it like leaving your car unlocked with valuables inside. Of course it is wrong for someone else to take those valuables, but, it can happen none the less. It still leaves you in the unenviable position of having to replace those valuables.

You can autologin your user, sure. In my day to day work - I use Linux exclusively, after a system is set up those "pesky" prompts disappear. The only super annoying one is gnome-keyring but that's only once per boot.

I run Mint on my laptop. Being a portable device, I do not wish to have my data or even system stability left prey to one of those people who might see shiny red laptop and walk off with it.

Go ahead and run as root, so long as you never click the wrong thing, type the wrong command, and never surf the web, you will be ok.
Linux Mint Sonya Windows 10 - Linux User/Hacker since 1992. Unix User/Hacker since 1984. I have three Pi devices running Raspbian, a CentOS based and Ubuntu VPS machines, too. (Also got hubby to put Mint on his laptop!)
Linux Counter #414322

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 am

Oh my dog, not this again. This recurring non-discussion should have been locked four years ago. Well, no time like the present!

Return to “Newbie Questions”