Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Galen10
Level 2
Level 2

findfs error while booting [Solved]

Post by Galen10 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 am

I'm running LMDE on two machines, a laptop and in a VirtualBox VM in Windows. I opted to try the new update system, and it works just fine on both machines so far. I'm not sure if the following error occurred before the change of update method (I didn't notice it, but it may well have already been there) but whilst tracing another error during the boot process, on both machines I noticed the error message "findfs: unable to resolve UUID=" once on its own, then three times in a row a few lines later. Everything seems to work just fine so I guess I could just leave it alone, but I was curious to know to what it might relate, and if I should do anything about it. Some Googling has not yet come up with anything I can understand (from my not very technical position), other than the fact that it may be looking for a partition that isn't there? Am I anywhere near? Shall I just leave it alone?

Regards,

Bob
Last edited by Galen10 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: findfs error while booting

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 am

Open Terminal (find it in the menu) and try:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
That is the file with UUIDs of disks to be mounted. If there are any partitions in there you don't want it to mount, you can remove them. Post the output here if that doesn't make sense. Edit the file with:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
For more investigative options, to get the list of UUIDs of currently connected disks run the following command. Any UUIDs that are in /etc/fstab but aren't in this list are probably the ones you should remove.

sudo blkid

Galen10
Level 2
Level 2

Re: findfs error while booting

Post by Galen10 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks very much for the info. That gave me all the information I needed to remove the error.

Thanks again,

Bob

Return to “Installation & Boot”