[Solved] Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
drunkenhopfrog
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

Post by drunkenhopfrog » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:29 am

Greetings all.

Mint newbie, but I have used ubuntu based distros extensively before. Using a fresh install of Mint 11 (and adore it).

I have a problem with the keyboard on my Toshiba L655 laptop. Almost a full keyboard with number pad and FN key to access functions such as PRINT SCREEN, etc.

At first most shortcuts worked like CTRL-ALT-T, ALT-F2, etc. The first problem I noticed was the FN key on my keyboard not activating its designated keys - like PRINT SCREEN. I fooled around with the keyboard layout and never got FN to work, but as a side effect, all shortcut keys are now broken (terminal, restart, run, etc - nothing works).

I can access keyboard layout and I returned to default US 105 Key. When I bring up the visual keypad, each key I press is correctly represented on the visual keypad, however they keys still do not activate shortcuts. I can access the shortcut layout to verify keystrokes, but still not luck. Same goes for manually changing shortcuts: I can assign keys by entering the keystrokes and it is recognized in the settings, however the keystrokes still do not activate the shortcuts.

Is there is a way to re-detect keyboard layout, or any other common fix?

Thank in advance.
Last edited by drunkenhopfrog on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunkenhopfrog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

Post by drunkenhopfrog » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am

I should mention, in the fresh install, the only major change I made was enabling Compiz for cube, however that was very easy and I had no problems or conflicts with that as many had earlier. Not sure if there is any way if could cause a conflict with keyboard shortcuts.

EDIT: Going to Compiz>General Options>Key Bindings - each of the Compiz shortcuts work fine ALT+F4, etc. But there appears to be no conflicts between those settings and the normal shortcuts.

drunkenhopfrog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

Post by drunkenhopfrog » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Ok, I think I fixed it. For those searching, when you enable Compiz for Cube, you're default keystroke shortcut manager is replaced with the Compiz settings. Find those settings in Compiz Settings Manager>General>Commands

Tick enable. COMMANDS tab is where you put the app path (i.e. 'gnome-terminal' for terminal). KEY BINDINGS is where you can set the keystrokes. Each entry in COMMANDS corresponds with the entry on the next page KEY BINDINGS in the same order (Command line 0, etc.).

Back, Close, Test.

Should work fine.

Fix provided here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =0#p163167 Thanks to @lagagnon.

Return to “Newbie Questions”