Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
barneyfife
Level 1
Level 1

D-Link DWA-125 Drivers usb wireless adaptor [solved]

Post by barneyfife » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm

I am a complete linux newbie, and I just installed Linux Mint 11 LXDE.

I have an old dimension B110 that I am trying to use, laptop shot craps. It does not have a wireless internet card, so I am trying to get a D-Link DWA-125 usb adaptor to work, it worked in XP on the same laptop.

I do not have current internet access with the computer, so if I have to download drivers, it will have to be tranfered via USB drive.

I know Linux is not a beginners OS, so I would like some help. I researched and the fix also requires using the terminal or command prompt. If I could get some assistance, on this I would appreciate it.

Alternatively, if anyone can reccomend a cheap PCI wireless card that works out of the box, I would be happy with that as well.
Last edited by barneyfife on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: D-Link DWA-125 Drivers usb wireless adaptor

Post by remoulder » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 am

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1085
barneyfife wrote:am trying to get a D-Link DWA-125 usb adaptor to work
Have you actually plugged it in and clicked on the network manager icon to see if any networks are seen?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

barneyfife
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyfife » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:26 am

It says a wired connection is available. It is not connecting through the usb connector. I deleted the wired connection in case there was a conflict. I tried manually entering the serial number and the wep key, and toggling the "connect automotically" button, and it does not connect.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 am

The Ralink 3070 chip (which is inside the D-Link DWA-125 dongle) is known to cause problems on Linux. With Mint 12, expected to be released in November, this will be some better but still the support is 'experimental'.

One of the problems of Ralink wireless (2800 and above) is different drivers trying to drive the same card at the same time. Please open Terminal and run this command, and post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep rt
You can copy/paste it; paste in Terminal is Ctrl-Shift-V. It will display all loaded kernel drivers containing rt.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 am

Direct answer to that device type problem(s)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1289917

General and comprehensive information about wireless networking setup
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

With some problem devices,. you will have to do some file editing some of the scripts that start those devices
--possibly also blacklisting the device, that is disabling it
  • It is not that difficult; you just have to remember to start your editor with gksu (root privilege) when editing file areas you don't have write permission to as a normal user (your login ID)
--and it is also better to test devices in a terminal where you can see the systems responses to your commands and will be better able to determine the problem, provided you follow some guides and take it step-by-step
  • The process used with all troubleshooting methods..

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:55 am

The fix from that topic applies to old versions of Ubuntu & Mint (Ubuntu 9.xx so Mint 7 & 8 ). In newer Mint versions such as 11, it's simply a matter of blacklisting conflicting things - the 'newer version' driver that 9.04 needed is already present in current Mints.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

barneyfife
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyfife » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Not "fixed", but solved. Returned the dongle, and spent 10 dollars more for a netgear G54, and it worked the second I plugged it in.

Thanks, I know that this is a bit of a cheating fix, but now I at least have basic functionality, which will allow me to explore the Linux universe. I also ordered a 1g ram stick, which will put me at 1256, so I can then run full on Mint, and not just LXDE. I tried installing full on Mint, but the 512 was split between system and IG, and it would not install correctly.

Thanks again!

Return to “Hardware Support”