Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
a_movingtarget
Level 1
Level 1

{Solved} I broke it...

Postby a_movingtarget » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi again.

I was messing with my desktop pc (Dell optiplex 170L) 40 GB HDD, maybe 2 gb ram, 2.4 ghz... I, uhh, seem to have broken it somehow. :) I was dual booting XP sp2 and Ubuntu 11.04 on there, and tried to remove ubuntu (hindsight, I should have just used the wubi uninstall option) from the windows disc mgr. I guess I somehow uninstalled Windows (no big loss, right?), and now I can't get Mint to complete its install. I get an error right away, something about ubi-code failed, and I try to proceed anyway (naturally), and it goes all the way to the end before it finally fails. Thing is, when I load the live cd I can go into the system settings and check the disk health, and it says everything is peachy... I know not what to do. Open SUSE live cd won't even get past the installation screen, it goes black after clicking install, fedora is hanging out with a spinning wheel and black screen. BIOS is setup password protected and I have no idea what that is (if that even matters).

Alrighty, bring on the experts... Yikes. I just want AN OS. Thanks a million, linux crew.

Okay, just tried again, and the first error says
ubi-console-setup crashed
ubi console setup failed with exit code 2. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If yo do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.

SO I try again... and so far it is doing better than before. I'll check in after it either completes or fails... Fingers crossed.

AND, fail. Message is that the
Installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
[Errno5] Input/output error
Then it goes on to say that it is often due to a faulty cd or drive or faulty hard disk. I find either one of them kind of hard to swallow, unless I somehow JUST messed up the hard drive, and the system settings/disk manager scan in the live cd vers of MINT is wrong. If you need any more info or have suggestions, I'm surely open...
Last edited by a_movingtarget on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: I broke it...

Postby xenopeek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 am

If you are sure you have already removed Windows and Ubuntu (so you don't have any personal files on it), use DBAN to completely wipe your harddisk. Download here: http://www.dban.org/download. Then try again. And once you get the "ubi-console-setup crashed" error, do have a look in the /var/log/syslog file (at the end) for the error you get at that point. Or open a terminal and run the following command and then post the output on http://pastebin.com/ and share the URL to it here:

Code: Select all

tail -n 200 /var/log/syslog

As for your BIOS password, see the manual of your motherboard on how to reset the BIOS to clear the password.

a_movingtarget
Level 1
Level 1

Postby a_movingtarget » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks, sir.

I will do that when I get home this evening. I'm going to use this as a "linux learning" moment. Honestly, thank you for the reply.

Oh, will I be able to download that program from a live disc only? I found out last night that GRUB wasn't installed on my PC from running different commands, and when I tried to sudo apt-get.... it tried but ran into a problem somewhere along the lines of /cantremember/debcon/debconfig.something was locked because it was in use or something like that. Oh learning...

rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rich_roast » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm

For reasons you might imagine apt is cautious about more than one instance of itself running, you'd get upgrades overwriting other upgrades and all sorts of catastrophes.

It's a common occurrence that when you try running the apt-get command from command line that a GUI tool using apt is still open. Check that mint's update manager, synaptic, and whatever else to do with software installation / upgrading are closed first. Then you should be able to run apt-get from CLI. If all else fails and you're sure no other applications using apt are running then you will need to manually remove the lock file (I forget where it is exactly but it's something like /var/cache/... stuff you mentioned .pid).

a_movingtarget
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: I broke it...

Postby a_movingtarget » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:19 am

The DBAN nuke worked! It took forever, but it worked! You guys are amazing. I hope I can contribute to new users' goofs like you guys someday. Thanks a million, you saved this PC for me, and likely a LOT of time.
In the meantime, I brought home another "old" PC, this one has more HDD space, 2 of them, actually, and the first one is larger than the one I just wiped. Oh, lots of fun to come. If it wasn't for grad school getting in the way, I'd have a server going soon. Oh well. Thanks again. Issue RESOLVED. :D :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”