Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

What version of Mint do you use

Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3
15%
Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3 MGSE
9%
Linux Mint 12 - MATE
4%
Linux Mint 11 or earlier
29%
Mint Debian - Gnome
11%
Mint Debian - Xfce
11%
Mint 11 LXDE or earlier
4%
Other...
17%

Total votes: 159

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by The-Wizard »

Just in the process of upping the main desktop from 10-64 to 12-64 still not sure i like the desktop but left it on de-fault, only thing to try is add my favourites to the desktop to save time,, but wait and see if i eventually like it [still anti top bar]
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

The-Wizard wrote:Just in the process of upping the main desktop from 10-64 to 12-64 still not sure i like the desktop but left it on de-fault, only thing to try is add my favourites to the desktop to save time,, but wait and see if i eventually like it [still anti top bar]
A little tip for you: if you go to the gnome 3 extensions website (which is now 1 click install) you will find an "auto hide the top panel" extension....
I am using it on my Mint 12 and it's excellent...you will regain the top space and yet when you did need to see or access that top panel..all you have to do is
mouse over the area...and when you are done it disappears again! (note: due to a bug at that website, use firefox to install extensions...it currently doesn't work with chrome)...

It's my "temporary solution" to having just one bottom panel again until Mint 13 arrives with panel on bottom only and improved gnome 3 mint menu... :D

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

Maybe another option in future : Linux Mint 12 - Cinnamon :D

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

Now using Mint 12 Cinnamon. Why? Because it is shiny and new, and I like shiny and new. Also, it is much more integrated, faster, and better for my workflow than mgse. Looking forward to it getting polished up and added to Mint 13/14.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

rhY
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE

Post by rhY »

LMDE. Boots faster, runs with less RAM, stays updated, avoided the whole Gnome 3 fiasco altogether. I use it for everything except gaming, because I can't add PPAs. For gaming I boot to Windows since Dolphin still runs better in Windows anyway. *sigh*

I'd really like to see LMDE/Cinnamon/PPA support, and cutting out the Ubuntu upstream altogether. I can dream can't I?
Go LeperKhanz! http://www.khanz.co

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE

Post by Monsta »

rhY wrote:I'd really like to see LMDE/Cinnamon/PPA support, and cutting out the Ubuntu upstream altogether. I can dream can't I?
Cinnamon may arrive to LMDE (not an official info, just a speculation) when Update Pack 4 will be ready. PPAs won't, of course.

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

ilovelinux wrote:I'm using Mint 10, because it works and it's faster than LM11 or LM12.
DITTO !
Actually I haven't booted her in quite some time. SalineOS blows it off the map.
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

dimbulb1024
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE

Post by dimbulb1024 »

Why: rolling release.
In January of 2006 I started with Ubuntu. Upgraded until Clem and his crew released LMDE.
I love the whole concept of a rolling release but I was to lazy to go the Arch route.
Thanks Clem (And to show I mean that, I am off to give you another donation. You and your team deserve it!)
Thinkpad X260 - i5-6300, 8GB, 1TB SSD - Linux Mint 19.3 & Win10
Thinkpad T420 - i5-2500, 16GB, 1TB SSD + 2TB Hybrid - Linux Mint 19.3, Win10 and a slew of other distros including Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PopOS! and what ever else happens to catch my eye lol

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Just moved the netbook to Mint 12 with Cinnamon but the desktop it's using Mint 9 LTS 32 bits and Mint 11 64bits.

/Zoran\
Level 3
Level 3

Post by /Zoran\ »

I can't believe that there's so little people who chose Mint 12 with MATE, considering that a lot of users complained how gnome shell sucks and all that.
Today I installed Mint 12 and I'm using MATE, and it's amazing, just like gnome 2 and I haven't even applied any updates, I hear that it works even better then, problems with themes are fixed.
I really hope that MATE stays with Mint, cause it's awesome, but I worry that it won't attract a lot of users and the team will stop supporting it, is something like that possible?
Oh, and happy holidays to everyone....

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

[quote="/Zoran\"]I can't believe that there's so little people who chose Mint 12 with MATE, considering that a lot of users complained how gnome shell sucks and all that.[/quote]

Maybe MATE user don't vote here or they are prefer to use earlier Mint version. You can not choose multiple option here.

/Zoran\
Level 3
Level 3

Post by /Zoran\ »

mank_in wrote:[quote="/Zoran\"]I can't believe that there's so little people who chose Mint 12 with MATE, considering that a lot of users complained how gnome shell sucks and all that.
Maybe MATE user don't vote here or they are prefer to use earlier Mint version. You can not choose multiple option here.[/quote]

True, didn't think about that, so we can assume that everyone who uses earlier version of mint also voted for MATE... :D

Kevin108
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kevin108 »

I tried Mint 12 again yesterday and even added Cinnamon. I'm going back to Mint 11 again tonight. I would say that Mint 12 just doesn't seem ready yet but as a noob, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say I'm not ready for Mint 12 yet.

My biggest hang-ups are the lack of desktop icons and not being able to easily create or remove icons in the Mint Menu. I did try Gnome 3 and MATE again while I was there. For me, the obvious move was back to Mint 11 where everything still works as most users would predict.

JBHoren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JBHoren »

Linux Mint 11, themed as Mac OS X (using Mac4Lin)

I've been running Linux Mint since v5, but was hesitant to move to v12 because of Gnome 3. When I ran v12 from the LiveDVD, I couldn't test MATE and Gnome 3 seemed "messed". I've got v11 installed on my desktop and netbook (Asus EeePC 1005PEB), and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I'm waiting for the upcoming release of Macbuntu, based on LMDE 201109

Desktop: http://www.horen.org.il/jpegs/images/20 ... enshot.png

Netbook: http://www.horen.org.il/jpegs/images/20 ... inteee.png

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

Kevin108 wrote:My biggest hang-ups are the lack of desktop icons and not being able to easily create or remove icons in the Mint Menu. I did try Gnome 3 and MATE again while I was there.
You can have desktop icons in gnome 3 by enabling them in "advanced settings," and they are enabled by default. There is some strange process for adding icons, though. I think you have to log into a gnome classic session and add them there and then they show up in gnome 3. You can add favorites to the mint menu by adding favorites to the gnome activities overview dock thing. In MATE, however, you can add everything the way you would in Mint 11. You can even have the exact same theme (here are some screenshots: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p514399).
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

corn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corn »

12 with MATE. I was very disappointed with Gnome 3 - sure it was pretty, but it felt very restrictive to me. On the other hand, I immediatly loved MATE. Intuitive, convenient, nice.
This is my first time using Mint (a friend recommended it to me) so I can't compare with other versions.

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

Mint Debian Xfce and repos pointing to testing (or sid in my case), means for me a sane desktop environment, predictable cause it lacks unpleasant surprises, a system configured to my needs and preferences with no re-installs, no worries for the selection of default applications and no worries for the release date of the next edition or the next update pack.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by seppalta »

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

I have been trying mint 12-64 for the last month and just taken a retrograde step and gone to mint 11-64 [this is on my main computer] i had no problems with the desktop but have been having hardware and shut down problems.... will now wait and see what 13 brings

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Post by itsme4401 »

Isadora - gnome on Sony-VAIO-VGN-NS38E.
Will change with next LTS edition OR switch to LMDE on this laptop.
I'm no "last-version" chaser; I prefer a good and proven workhorse as OS.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”