Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Xander314
Level 1
Level 1

Installing without GRUB

Post by Xander314 »

I want to install Linux Mint alongside Windows 7 and Gentoo. I've already installed GRUB along with Gentoo and written the grub.conf file. Is there any way to stop the Mint GUI installer installing GRUB again?
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installing without GRUB

Post by ej64 »

I don't think so. But if you don't like Mint's grub (why?) you can anyway boot into Gentoo afterwards and get its grub back by grub-install and update-grub.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

No, there is no such selection of 'Not installing grub'.

However, what you can do is simply select it to install grub onto its root partition.
Then you pass control to your master boot loader, in the case your Gentoo, run from Gentoo, and do a update-grub to get Mint into its grub menu.
Xander314
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xander314 »

if you don't like Mint's grub (why?)
No, I have nothing against it, it just seemed a waste to reinstall it and I was curious if I could avoid it.

I'll just use the one Mint installs then, that's fine.
pvjlieuthier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvjlieuthier »

Actually, I've installed Linux Mint 12 today and yes, there is an option not to install Grub.
aramis_qc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aramis_qc »

pvjlieuthier wrote:Actually, I've installed Linux Mint 12 today and yes, there is an option not to install Grub.
If it's possbible to do so, how do you do it ? Is there kind of EDIT button that lets you specify where to install GRUB or not ? In other words, something like old Ubuntu installer did in the past.
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

The Ubuntu/Mint installer does not allow no Grub install. This can be very annoying and I don't understand why. Other distros do, such as SuSE.
A work-around is to install the new Grub to the linux partition itself and leave your existing one in the MBR untouched. Note, one should not use the Grub in the partition because it is unreliable due to the lack of boot-loader provision in the ext format.

Return to “Installation & Boot”