Install LMDE XFCE amd64 on HP ProLiant server

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sayshh
Level 1
Level 1

Install LMDE XFCE amd64 on HP ProLiant server

Post by sayshh »

Hi,

I want to install LMDE XFCE amd64 edition on a HP ProLiant ML350 G5 server. When I boot the Live DVD, I can find the icon for disks (partitions) which I can mount and browse from the desktop. However,in MintInstall disk selection screen none of the disks/partitions is listed.

1. Boot Live DVD.
2. Launch Install Linux Mint.
3. Go through language, timezone, keyboard etc.
4. At the Select where you want to install Linux Mint screen no disk/partitions are displayed.

If I click "Edit partitions" it brings up Gparted and I can partition the disks (which I tried again). I tried "Refresh" also but it didn't help.

The server has Smart Array E200i controller. I have configured two logical drives on that disk. While those disks appear in Gparted and desktop icons for the partitions, they don't appear in MintInstall. I tried the "safe settings" boot for Live DVD which didn't help.

Anybody has any ideas?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Install LMDE XFCE amd64 on HP ProLiant server

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
Elmacus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Elmacus »

It must be bug in Mintinstaller.
I got the same problem when trying to run LMDE in virtual KVM. (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page)

I would not run LMDE on a server, but Debian Squeeze instead.
Or you start with Squeeze and then convert to LMDE, there is guides for that on this forum.
Or try Proxmox 2.0 Beta (squeeze), you can have desktop and KVM at the same time, enterprise class.

Or you should just run what HP supports, like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or Centos 5:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... g=sv&cc=se

Best luck.
sayshh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sayshh »

Thanks Elmacus. I was almost on the verge of giving up. :D

I earlier had Debian 6.0.3 XFCE installed on this server, which was working fine and to my requirement, but the disk crashed and I wanted to set it up again quickly and conveniently.

Will go back to Debian I guess. Thanks again!

Return to “LMDE Archive”