Greeter application appears to be crashing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
setigamer
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:32 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by setigamer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 am

The flash problem is resolved. Well, identified is perhaps better. We use a Sprint AiRave to boost signal in our building, which plugs directly into the Inet port of the modem. Any router you have plugs into the AiRave. For 2 weeks we have enjoyed more signal strength than ever imagined, but Flash was destroyed on my system (Linux Mint) and my roommate's laptop (Win8 Media). Both systems would show you "whitenoise" and a message telling you that something went wrong. On Linux Mint that was the point that the plugin would crash.

After trying everything under the sun with the OS on me and my roommates systems, I remembered this [url=http://now.sprint.com/airave/?ECID=vanity:airaveaccesspoint]Sprint AiRave[/url] cell booster we have between the comcast modem and my wifi router/firewall. Just removed it from the chain of devices and flash is now working as it should. I'm guessing here as I have not found any documentation on it, but darn good bet the AiRave is filtering ports or services under its own security policy. I haven't sniffed the contraption so not really sure what it's doing (or what it's not doing?). Wasted almost week on this stuff. Dang.

The greeter app hasn't crashed since I switched to a GTK login screen. I'm good with that, forget the fancy ones.

skytale
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by skytale » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

nvidia 9800 gt
using the 310 drivers "recommended" by the driver manager

Well, i don't have any solutions, but my problem while related is also unique so far as i have read in this forum. I have dual displays . . . some of the time, which is to say, i have dual displays til i start playing a game. When i quit the game my second display doesnt come back. I need to go into the nvidia settings and turn the other display back on. So, whats the point in this discussion?

sometimes i get the "greeter is screwed" screen when i start up, it seems random.

Every time, however, i exit a game, and attempt to log out, i get the "greeter is screwed" screen. Not sometimes, or most of the time, but every time.

if i however restart my second display in nvidia settings, i can "usually" log out just fine, usually no "greeter is screwed" screen

Just to clarify this for purposes of this post, i tried it for about 30 minutes, or 20 times . . .

start game, leave game, log out, "greeter is screwed" screen

every time. Maybe this can help nail down what the problem is.
`

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:45 pm

@skytale:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any level 6 or higher guru types are offering assistance here . . . but, just to say that I don't recall anyone saying they got a "Greeter is screwed" error notification . . . so that is unique. Mostly what it seemed that I and others got was just the black screen of dark nothingness . . . and that might last a few minutes and recover on its own or require cold restart.

In terms of your displays, have you set up these displays in the System Preferences app for Display? And did you use the "Driver Manager" to select the "recommended" Nvidia driver? And, you didn't post your operating system, DEs, or hardware . . . maybe someone who knows how to troubleshoot your problem will come along . . . .

In the meanwhile, are you still using the HTML LogIn Window, or have you switched to GDM or like the last poster, the GTK? That seems to be the single most effective change to make in LM15 with this greeter app crash . . . which you would know if you read thru the posts here . . . but you didn't mention if you have done that . . . . Baby steps . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

skytale
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by skytale » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:04 pm

este.el.paz wrote:@skytale:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any level 6 or higher guru types are offering assistance here . . . but, just to say that I don't recall anyone saying they got a "Greeter is screwed" error notification . . . so that is unique. Mostly what it seemed that I and others got was just the black screen of dark nothingness . . . and that might last a few minutes and recover on its own or require cold restart.

In terms of your displays, have you set up these displays in the System Preferences app for Display? And did you use the "Driver Manager" to select the "recommended" Nvidia driver? And, you didn't post your operating system, DEs, or hardware . . . maybe someone who knows how to troubleshoot your problem will come along . . . .

In the meanwhile, are you still using the HTML LogIn Window, or have you switched to GDM or like the last poster, the GTK? That seems to be the single most effective change to make in LM15 with this greeter app crash . . . which you would know if you read thru the posts here . . . but you didn't mention if you have done that . . . . Baby steps . . . .

e.e.p.
:-) im not looking for a problem to be solved or i would have posted system specs and the like. I call the big black screen with the error dialogue in it the "greeter is screwed" screen cause thats just my personality, nothing else.

So, i have been using mint since 12. I love mint, but no i have never gotten this message before on the other versions. What i found curious was simply, if im not leaving a game, it usually doesnt happen, but after playing a game, it always happens. I don't mind hitting ctrl-alt-f2 and logging in that way, i have endured much more tiresome work arounds in windows and mac and other linux distos over the years you know, and mint will have a new version in what, 15 minutes anyway, and they always seem to fix the problems from the earlier version, quite impressive actually.

on the point of the different types of greeter screens, yes i read them, it seems that for some people it seemed to solve the problem and for others not so much. not so much for me too im affraid.

yeah yeah, i set up the displays in the displays system dialogue, and i also configured my nvidia settings . . .

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

skytale wrote:
:-) im not looking for a problem to be solved or i would have posted system specs and the like. I call the big black screen with the error dialogue in it the "greeter is screwed" screen cause thats just my personality, nothing else.
@skytale:

OK, well thanks for posting back . . . but it's good you aren't looking for a problem to be solved here, this forum seems to be mostly to log the problems rather than a place where solutions are suggested. It's a place to "share the pain" and say, "We feel you, man . . . ." So, uh, we feel you.

But, right, I figured the computer wasn't saying, "The greeter is screwed" . . . but I'm not sure if there has been any error window for me . . . certainly not since I switched to GDM log in . . . maybe when it was HTML?? It's been a while since I switched . . . but, I'm in Mac . . . and we ***never**** have problems of any sort, so no need for error windows, etc. : - ))

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

skytale
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by skytale » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm

yeah, i defended mac for 20 years, now that jobs is dead they lost their focus and im done with em

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 pm

skytale wrote:yeah, i defended mac for 20 years, now that jobs is dead they lost their focus and im done with em

What? Jobs is dead? They didn't tell us . . . jeez . . . this is big . . . why didn't Apple notify me? See, this is what I'm saying, no error notification in Mac. What's next in computers, now that Father Steve has left the stage?

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

duportail
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by duportail » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:47 am

Nick Payne wrote:Yesterday and again today when booting up Mint 15 amd64, before the login window appears I get a dialog on screen saying " The Greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one." When I ok the dialog, the normal login window appears a couple of seconds later, and things seem to be fine from there on.

Never saw this message on Mint 14.
I had these crashes also.
I get them away by doing the folowing on xubuntu 13.04 64bit:
upgrade to latest nvidia beta

so:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319 -y

and mdm:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get install -y mdm ubuntu-mdm-themes

and the problem went away so far with use of html themes. Even on a multiseatcomputer with six logins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMHGmNY3P90

guy

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 am

@duportail:

OK, thanks for posting that here in this thread . . . it's interesting, possibly "counterintuitive" to the problem's solution as posted by others here. Like I (and others here) mentioned, since I switched from HTML to GDM I haven't seen any error notification, we'll just drop into an infinite blackness . . . total stillness. It's not worth switching back to see if I can see the error--but here you're saying that switching to HTML is fixing your problem . . . whereas for us switching away from HTML has been the temp fix.

And, interesting on going to Nvidia beta . . . and also MDM? I can't know if LM would be different than the Ubuntu, for example, LM apparently already has MDM at install . . . so would we need to add it to the repository? Same on the Nvidia driver, the "Driver Manager" app in LM provides a potential list of drivers to choose from . . . I went with the "recommended" Nvidia driver for my machine, perhaps that's naive??

I've been watching the update/upgrade list of items at interval to see if "MDM" shows up, and so far it hasn't--perhaps I could run Synaptic and see if another version of MDM is now available . . . and perhaps that might fix the problem. I guess I'll let the more adventurous among us test out your suggestions, I'm not sure if it relates to LM. I know that LM is built on Ubuntu, but there have been some additions . . . and that might make it a slight bit different so that it's not entirely a "plug n' play" from Ubuntu to LM??? As it is now the crash is intermittent using GDM log in window, it happens, not every re-boot . . . I think it might have been better with the previous kernel, so there is the thought that the kernel might have some influence on this issue?? I'm personally not spending too much time scratching my head on this problem, since it is so intrinsic to the basic use of the system the devs should be doing that, but appear to not be too concerned . . . since there is always "tomorrow" for a better day, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

duportail
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by duportail » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:06 pm

este.el.paz wrote:@duportail:

OK, thanks for posting that here in this thread . . . it's interesting, possibly "counterintuitive" to the problem's solution as posted by others here. Like I (and others here) mentioned, since I switched from HTML to GDM I haven't seen any error notification, we'll just drop into an infinite blackness . . . total stillness. It's not worth switching back to see if I can see the error--but here you're saying that switching to HTML is fixing your problem . . . whereas for us switching away from HTML has been the temp fix.

And, interesting on going to Nvidia beta . . . and also MDM? I can't know if LM would be different than the Ubuntu, for example, LM apparently already has MDM at install . . . so would we need to add it to the repository? Same on the Nvidia driver, the "Driver Manager" app in LM provides a potential list of drivers to choose from . . . I went with the "recommended" Nvidia driver for my machine, perhaps that's naive??

I've been watching the update/upgrade list of items at interval to see if "MDM" shows up, and so far it hasn't--perhaps I could run Synaptic and see if another version of MDM is now available . . . and perhaps that might fix the problem. I guess I'll let the more adventurous among us test out your suggestions, I'm not sure if it relates to LM. I know that LM is built on Ubuntu, but there have been some additions . . . and that might make it a slight bit different so that it's not entirely a "plug n' play" from Ubuntu to LM??? As it is now the crash is intermittent using GDM log in window, it happens, not every re-boot . . . I think it might have been better with the previous kernel, so there is the thought that the kernel might have some influence on this issue?? I'm personally not spending too much time scratching my head on this problem, since it is so intrinsic to the basic use of the system the devs should be doing that, but appear to not be too concerned . . . since there is always "tomorrow" for a better day, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation . . . .

e.e.p.
Just told the forum how I solved my problem.
If mdm is already installed, do not use the mdm ppa.
Someone has to try to install the nvidia beta driver 319 and look if the problem goes away.
The procedure for the nvidia beta install in my other post is the same for linux min 15.
The older nvidia driver will be uninstalled automatic

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm

duportail wrote: Just told the forum how I solved my problem.
If mdm is already installed, do not use the mdm ppa.
Someone has to try to install the nvidia beta driver 319 and look if the problem goes away.
The procedure for the nvidia beta install in my other post is the same for linux min 15.
The older nvidia driver will be uninstalled automatic
@duportail:

It is appreciated that you posted what worked for you, that is what a forum is for . . . sharing information. I may try to check the "Driver Manager" and see if this Nvidia beta is listed for my computer . . . it is easy enough to switch drivers using that app . . . for those of us who are "GUI drivers" of LM . . . . Other stuff to do today--nobody seems to be in a hurry to fix this problem, from within the system . . . .

Again, thanks for posting here.

e.e.p.
[edit: Back in LM15, I checked Synaptic and I have the latest mdm version installed--didn't check for "beta" but it didn't show up in the window. On the Nvidia driver, I'm on a three year old MBPro . . . there was no "319" listed in the Driver Manager app for my computer. I have the "recommended" Nvidia 310 installed. There are choices for 310-updates, 313-updates, 304, 304-updates . . . but nothing for 319. Of course that has no meaning to folks running newer hardware, but for me it indicates that I would be "leaving the clearly marked trail" and heading out into uncharted waters if I were to try to add 319, etc.]
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

mrcorey
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by mrcorey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 pm

If you add the PPA duportail mentioned, you'll have the Nvidia 319 drivers in your list:

The line above the one mentioning adding the PPA for MDM

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319 -y

Then, html greeter may work without crashes, maybe...

...well tried that and it installed the 325 driver. I switched to an HTML theme (the space one) and it crashed about 5 times and restarted. It did bring me to the greeter, though. Rebooted and tried again and same results. Crashed several times but did actually load. This is progress over the last time I tried. I'm going to try some other themes and see what happens. May just go back to GTK again, which at least loads.

My card, BTW, is likely the oldest one mentioned on any of the posts I've searched out. 8600GT


.....and further testing with more themes leaves me thinking that, with this driver, the greeter will likely always load, but it'll take a few attempts to get it to stop crashing. Not worth it. Just use GTK or GDM themes.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

mrcorey wrote:If you add the PPA duportail mentioned, you'll have the Nvidia 319 drivers in your list:
Then, html greeter may work without crashes, maybe...
[Cue the sound of psychotic laughter . . . "Mu ha ha ha, mu ha ha ha . . . haaaaaaaaa"] . . . "Yes, (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, snort, snort) trust me on this, once you install 319 the html greeter will work without crashing . . . try it . . . what can you lose?" [Cue again the sound of psychotic laughter fading into the dungeon background . . . chains clanking . . . wailing and gnashing of teeth are also heard . . . in the uh, dungeon background where all the LM15 devs are held prisoner . . . and toil away their lives fixing all the bugs that jump over from . . . where? Debian? Ubuntu? Small sacrifice to give ones frail body to fixing the insignificant glitches that "ocassionally" crop up in LM . . . but it does seem to be hard on the mental clarity . . . ha ha haaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.]

@mrcorey:

Well, thanks for the follow-up . . . probably not a big deal to add tis to the repository . . . maybe I'll try it out right before I switch to LM16, that way if it goes sideways I can just wipe the drive and have a fresh system. I'm looking for the devs to work on fixing MDM so that I don't have to take my time on it. But, please, let me know if you add 319 and it goes well. It might be nice if there was a list of the GPUs that are supported by 319 so that it might be more clear whether or not it was worth doing or if it is inappropriate.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

duportail
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by duportail » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:00 am

mrcorey wrote:If you add the PPA duportail mentioned, you'll have the Nvidia 319 drivers in your list:

The line above the one mentioning adding the PPA for MDM

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319 -y

Then, html greeter may work without crashes, maybe...

...well tried that and it installed the 325 driver. I switched to an HTML theme (the space one) and it crashed about 5 times and restarted. It did bring me to the greeter, though. Rebooted and tried again and same results. Crashed several times but did actually load. This is progress over the last time I tried. I'm going to try some other themes and see what happens. May just go back to GTK again, which at least loads.

My card, BTW, is likely the oldest one mentioned on any of the posts I've searched out. 8600GT


.....and further testing with more themes leaves me thinking that, with this driver, the greeter will likely always load, but it'll take a few attempts to get it to stop crashing. Not worth it. Just use GTK or GDM themes.
Forgot to mention: i do also (if you have nvidia)
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-ati
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

seems that the html greeter of mdm has some video resolution problems i think,,,

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 pm

[quote="duportail"
Forgot to mention: i do also (if you have nvidia)
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-ati
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

seems that the html greeter of mdm has some video resolution problems i think,,,[/quote]

@duportail:

Yes, it does seem that the html greeter of mdm has some video resolution problems . . . . In terms of your added suggestions to remove nouveau, ati. and intel . . . perhaps that may be a good idea to resolve some potential problems, but I ran "lsmod" and the only one of those I saw in my installation is "nvidia" . . . no "nouveau," "ati," or "intel" are listed. Possibly this is taken care of by Linux Mint, whereas I recall that with my PPC units there might be a number of xserver modules . . . but then only one is selected in the xorg.conf file . . . . I guess that would be easy enough to check and see which is listed there; I'm just an advocate for "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach rather than "labor intensive" . . . "fixing" everything and then having to revisit and re-work it later. But, just repeating that I don't think LM throws all the modules into the install . . . but, I haven't done an exhaustive search to find out either . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

duportail
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by duportail » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 pm

este.el.paz wrote:[quote="duportail"
Forgot to mention: i do also (if you have nvidia)
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-ati
apt-get -y remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

seems that the html greeter of mdm has some video resolution problems i think,,,
@duportail:

Yes, it does seem that the html greeter of mdm has some video resolution problems . . . . In terms of your added suggestions to remove nouveau, ati. and intel . . . perhaps that may be a good idea to resolve some potential problems, but I ran "lsmod" and the only one of those I saw in my installation is "nvidia" . . . no "nouveau," "ati," or "intel" are listed. Possibly this is taken care of by Linux Mint, whereas I recall that with my PPC units there might be a number of xserver modules . . . but then only one is selected in the xorg.conf file . . . . I guess that would be easy enough to check and see which is listed there; I'm just an advocate for "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach rather than "labor intensive" . . . "fixing" everything and then having to revisit and re-work it later. But, just repeating that I don't think LM throws all the modules into the install . . . but, I haven't done an exhaustive search to find out either . . . .

e.e.p.[/quote]
lsmod is showing only the loaded modules.
On ubuntu/xubuntu the drivers are indeed installed(but not loaded) , so I uninstalled them also.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:17 pm

duportail wrote: lsmod is showing only the loaded modules.
On ubuntu/xubuntu the drivers are indeed installed(but not loaded) , so I uninstalled them also.
@duportail:

OK, main thing is whether the OP's, and many others as well, problems with Greeter app crashing is significantly modified enough by your suggestions to be called a "solution." In other words, being able to use MDM with HTML log in window . . . without various crashes happening . . . ?????? If so, then we'd have to get the OP to test it out, see if their problem is solved and they could then mark this thread as solved . . . the OP has to mark it. I'm no longer running Cinnamon, so I can't test that part out . . . but it would be nice if this relatively simple series of steps would solve this problem in Cinn, seems like there are a couple other issues, but crashing on startup is a particularly tedious problem.

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

jonas108
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by jonas108 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 am

Got a GTX 660 with the 310 driver from Nvidia. I am being annoyed by this bug now aswell under Linux Mint 15 (Cin) and it is getting worse and worse by the day.
Sometimes it starts with the warning and the warning itself is hardly readable. Everything is pixelated. Other times the warning is readable again,
but then it just keeps changing itself until eventually it crashes(or not).

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by este.el.paz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 am

jonas108 wrote:Got a GTX 660 with the 310 driver from Nvidia. I am being annoyed by this bug now aswell under Linux Mint 15 (Cin) and it is getting worse and worse by the day.
Sometimes it starts with the warning and the warning itself is hardly readable. Everything is pixelated. Other times the warning is readable again,
but then it just keeps changing itself until eventually it crashes(or not).
@jonas108:

Welcome to this thread, it appears that I am the official "greeter" . . . and it's difficult to know if any of the other posters here have fixed their problem and if so . . . how . . . . I changed the Log In window from HTML to GDM and that solved part of the problem . . . but I then changed the whole system from Cinn to XFCE and that cut the problems down to minimal. There are a few other suggestions here, try to read through them ***all*** and then see what makes sense to you. Basically it seems that on this issue you/we are on our own to diagnose and fix the problem . . . . And if you do find something, please post back with what worked for you so that someone else might learn . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

User avatar
clem
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4120
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am
Contact:

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by clem » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 am

Hi,

This was really hard to troubleshoot. We found that the cause of the problem was a segmentation fault in webkit (the HTML rendering engine used by MDM) affecting predominantly users of nVidia drivers. Ubuntu/Mint use an old version of libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 (1.10.2). Upgrading to a newer version (2.0.4) immediately solves the issue and the HTML greeter (which name is mdmwebkit) no longer crashes.

Now, that's the analysis.... what you probably want to know is how to solve the issue on "your" computer.. and this is where it gets tricky. Basically you need to either stop using mdmwebkit (either switch to the GTK/GDM greeters or switch to LightDM), or upgrade libwebkitgtk-1.0-0.

Upgrading libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 is a little bit tricky because it relies on other libraries which need to be upgraded as well. Here's the simplest way to do so. Beware though: You will be upgrading at your own risks:

- sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
- apt update
- apt install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 --no-install-recommends

If you're not experienced with PPAs and dpkg/apt troubleshooting, please don't upgrade anything and simply select "Menu->Login Screen" and change the style to GTK or GDM.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Cinnamon”