Is there anybody nearby who can replace disks?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gwreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anybody nearby who can replace disks?

Post by gwreinhart »

I live in East Berlin, PA 17316. Have been using Linux since it was invented, on a variety of machines and cell phones. On the desktop I started getting warnings about no room. Temporarily I just kept hitting the "clear trash" button. Went to your site and looked up how to deal with that and stored the link. Then two days ago I did something stupid. It said there were updates waiting and I told it to install. It totally crashed the system, leaving me unable to do *anything*. So I'm hoping to find someone not too distant who can take the existing disk (solid state hard drive), copy it somewhere, empty the current disk, then copy back the meaningful stuff. That would include apps and data.

Help!
~George Reinhart
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Graphics Cards & Monitors to Other Topics because the issue is not related to graphics.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is there anybody nearby who can replace disks?

Post by Pjotr »

Maybe you can solve it yourself, like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gwreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gwreinhart »

Sorry, but for that to be possible the machine needs to be alive. It isn't.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gwreinhart wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 pm Sorry, but for that to be possible the machine needs to be alive. It isn't.
Please explain what you mean by your machine not being alive. Does this mean you cannot boot an install usb/dvd into a live session of Linux Mint?

Filling up the drive is a common problem and one does not need to remove the drive from the computer to fix the issue. If you are stuck in a login loop (you put in the correct password and it keeps coming back to the login screen), then try the advice in this post.

Maybe some of the tips in this thread Disk full, unable to login. I need help [SOLVED] will help you clear enough space that you can get back into your system.
gwreinhart wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 pm So I'm hoping to find someone not too distant who can take the existing disk (solid state hard drive), copy it somewhere, empty the current disk, then copy back the meaningful stuff. That would include apps and data.
That cannot be done because no one else knows what is "meaningful stuff". That is a determination you make.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
gwreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gwreinhart »

Hmm. Hadn't thought about that. Will have to give it a try after finding out (after a long time) where I can get a bootable CD. I'm sure that info is in this system somewhere.

Thank you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gwreinhart wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:23 pm Hmm. Hadn't thought about that.
Do you normally enter a password when your system boots or do you have the system automatically log in?
gwreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gwreinhart »

I have to sign on during and immediately after a reboot. After that not.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

gwreinhart wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:51 pm I have to sign on during and immediately after a reboot. After that not.
Are you seeing the sign on screen when you boot the computer? If you are, then follow the instructions here.

Return to “Other topics”